Updating softwares...

Reaction score
Once we have buy original softwares, and use them and after new versions released, do we have to buy also them? Or can we download them and install them with our old serial numbers?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

( I heard something like that from my friend, but i didn't try, Because something happens, I will loose both new and old versions )

Give me a little idea.

Reaction score
In most cases with commercial software, you'll have some updates to the version you bought but you won't, for example, be able to use Microsoft Office 2004 with a license for Office 2001. Some smaller companies offer lifetime upgrades, but those are few and far between in my experience.

Reaction score
In most cases with commercial software, you'll have some updates to the version you bought but you won't, for example, be able to use Microsoft Office 2004 with a license for Office 2001. Some smaller companies offer lifetime upgrades, but those are few and far between in my experience.

i'm using graphic softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign also QuarkXpress which are familier to Graphic designing tools and also web designing tools. what about them?:confused: :confused:

Reaction score
Same thing, big commercial software all of them. You buy one version and that's what you get (plus updates for a few bugfixes etc, but not the next big version).

Reaction score
Same thing, big commercial software all of them. You buy one version and that's what you get (plus updates for a few bugfixes etc, but not the next big version).

oh, it means i have to spent big money for buy them again? :eek: :eek: :( :( :( :(

now I know why most of the people tried to make illegal copies.:p :p

Reaction score
more or less a smal update and bug fixes are usually free say going from version 5.0 to 5.1 thats free
but if you want to go from version 5 to version 7 then you need to either buy a upgrade for that version ( cheaper) or the whole software package again

Reaction score
thanks everyone. It means I have to spent more money....

what about to upgrade the OS version? do I also want to pay for that? now i'm running on 10.3.9 panther OS version. If i want to upgrade to Tiger, do i need to pay. I have download it from apple store. but still isn't installed. give me an idea. :)

Reaction score
you can upload panther for free to version 10.9
to install tiger you need to buy it all over again same goes for leopard
the smal upgrades are usually free the big number jumps cost you money

Reaction score

If you don't get me wrongly, shall i ask you something?

Panther means 10.3
Tiger means 10.4

am i right?

if yes, 10.9 isn't released yet? do i right? or, is panther owns 10.9 OS X version?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Reaction score
10.3.9 typo

10.1 is ceetah
10.2 is jaguar
10.3 is panther
10.4 is tiger
10.5 is leopard

okay,
thanks buddy, i just asking that because that you told that i can upgrade mine in to 10.9 for freee, i was just really happy on that time, :D
in there , you meant only 10.3.9 ?
10.9 is just a printing mistake? ;) ;)

Reaction score

10.9 is a typo there is no 10.9 just yet only 10.4 which you need no buy for 99

what i'm asking is this brother? i'm really sorry for asking again and again. still i have no idea what you are trying to tell me:(
Sorry for tired you.

Reaction score
...urgh i made a typing mistake there is no 10.9
there is a 10.3.9 ( panther) but no 10.9
there is a 10.4 ( tiger) and there wil be a 10.5 in febraury march
but 10.9 is still years away

Reaction score
...urgh i made a typing mistake there is no 10.9
there is a 10.3.9 ( panther) but no 10.9
there is a 10.4 ( tiger) and there wil be a 10.5 in febraury march
but 10.9 is still years away

yeah, it make's me a little sense.

now, :D

10.3 to 10.4 is a big jump. am i right? so, if it is true, i have to pay for buy 10.4, because i have already got 10.3.9 ..

the other thing is, i have already download 10.4 but not yet registered and payed. so, is that means, i have to pay for Tiger, when i'm registering it? :confused: :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

10.4 is not available as a legal download, unless you are a Developer.

Apples general pricing policy... ie

If you buy version 10.3 then you get all the updates free till 10.3.9

10.4 would then be a 'paid for' upgrade. So if you upgrade to 10.4 you will get all the updates to 10.4.9

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, strangely enough, while most programs use the second version number for small (and free) updates, both Mac OS X and Windows use them for new major versions you have to buy.

bluekatt has already listed the various OS X versions above, so I won't go over them again.

Windows 2000 was Windows NT 5.0, while Windows XP is Windows NT 5.1 , Windows Server 2003 and XP 64-bit edition is NT 5.2, and Vista is NT 6.0.
(The difference between Windows' service packs shows in the 4th number, I think, and the 3rd changes only during development, before the "SP0" system is released to the stores.)

Ask a Question