Updating apps in non-standard locations?

Reaction score
I find it helpful to use subdirectories in my Applications directory. When I update a program, though, the updated version is written to the original location, as determined by the installation script, not the location of the outdated version.

Is there any general way to force installations into my custom locations? Obviously, I can do it by hand after the fact, but sometimes I forget and then I have two versions on my disk. This particularly problematic for Photoshop plugins, which get installed in a variety of locations.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to force it. The built-in updaters will write to their designated locations.

Instead of using subfolders in the Applications folder, you could create aliases and organize them in your Dock or in folders on your Desktop. Would that work for you?

C

Reaction score
That's what I've been doing. ...but I can't remember whether it always works. Does it work when, for example, the update for RDV2.1.app is RDV2.2.app? (I don't have a sample on hand to try.)

Ask a Question