updating sys + apps

Reaction score
Hola,
So what's the difference and or reason behind different update formats? As in, I remember reading a long time ago, not to use System Update from system prefs in order to upgrade to the next OS ie: 10.4.3 to 10.4.4. And to download the combo and run that seperately. I have done this for a few years. Today I went on apple to download the combo for 10.4.4 and saw the choice of the combo or Delta download update. What is Delta update?
What is different in the different updates, or doing it via system update app?
Is this the same rule for updating seperate apps, ie itunes or adobe products or any of the applications we all have and they send us a little "hey there's a new version, do you want to update - click here" deal?
I'm just curious, and so tired of messed up bits that I'd like to know the best ways to keep things working.

Also, if you dowload combo updates; 1. should you burn them for future, or just download again later when you need them? 2. if you downloaded the combos then can't you simply keep the latest combo -- as it will update from several versions previous? ie: if I have the 10.4.1 discs, and I have to ....which i do.... reinstall everything, wouldn't I be able to install the 10.4.1 and simply use the 10.4.4 combo update? Because it says it can update from 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3...

Ask a Question