Update to High Sierra broke my SSD?

Reaction score
Hi forum,

First post here :)

I’ve been trying to update my Macbook Pro (late 2011) to High Sierra, coming from El Capitan. My hard drive is a 512 Gb Crucial SSD. The process went fine and I was using my computer again when it couldn’t open Preview, so I restarted the machine. I was never able to boot on my regular partition: there is a recurrent error message that says that it can’t access the files, and so it restarts on the install/boot partition until the message comes again.

In Recovery mode (Cmd+r at startup), trying to Repair the disk with SOS bring the following error: « fsroot tree is invalid », althought it can see the total size of the disk and also the size of space that is occupied by data.

I assume it’s the transition to APFS that has messed up something. I tried mounting the disk into an enclosure to read it within Gparted in Linux as an external drive: it sees it but doesn’t detect the file system.

I’m quite concerned by the issue as I have a big folder of my studio projects that I forgot to backup - the rest is OK...

Any hint on a possible fix before going to see the professionals?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
First off, why did you "upgrade" to High Sierra? It has been wrought with issues ever since it came out. Also, from what I can tell, there is really nothing with High Sierra that one must have it now.

Secondly, did you upgrade "in place", that is, let High Sierra basically overwrite what was on your Mac already?

Third, did you insure that all your third party apps were compatible with High Sierra?

Finally, and most important, did you make a backup before you upgraded? That would be your "saving grace", as you could first save your big folder of your studio projects to another "device"/location, ie, a flash drive, or another location on your external drive.

Reaction score
EXACTLY my biggest reason for avoiding High Sierra! I'll wait for honestone to take the plunge first and if he likes the water, then MAYBE I'll join him.

And like honestone, I can't see any compelling reasons for upgrading to HS. If my past history is any indication of my future behavior, I probably won't "upchuck" to HS until after announces the release of High Sierra's successor! I installed Yosemite when El Capitan was released, then El Capitan when Sierra was released. I only installed Sierra after HS had been out for a couple of months!

I don't do everything the same way honestone does, but many of his posts should be REQUIRED READING. He's a pretty sharp old bird.

Reaction score
I like honestone's vocabulary, too. I thought I was the only person to ever use the word "wrought." In fact, I thought the last time it had been used was in the world's first telegraph message: "What hath God wrought?"

Reaction score
EXACTLY my biggest reason for avoiding High Sierra! I'll wait for honestone to take the plunge first and if he likes the water, then MAYBE I'll join him.

And like honestone, I can't see any compelling reasons for upgrading to HS. If my past history is any indication of my future behavior, I probably won't "upchuck" to HS until after announces the release of High Sierra's successor! I installed Yosemite when El Capitan was released, then El Capitan when Sierra was released. I only installed Sierra after HS had been out for a couple of months!

I don't do everything the same way honestone does, but many of his posts should be REQUIRED READING. He's a pretty sharp old bird.

Thank you for those kind words. In actuality, a lot of my posts are based on what I have read/seen/experienced before, and also I have learned quite a lot from a couple of "super" users on this site.

I actually upgraded to both El Capitan and Sierra after the upgrade for Tech Tool Pro came out, and each time I installed the ".1" release of the OS (I actually have 5 other critical apps that must have upgrades also before I move to the new OS).

And as far as taking "the plunge" to High Sierra (with a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of, most likely, OS 10.13.2), given that you own Tech Tool Pro, you might want to visit Micromat's site and the Tech Tool Pro 9 forum. There is a lot of good stuff there.

Reaction score
Hi forum,

First post here :)

I’ve been trying to update my Macbook Pro (late 2011) to High Sierra, coming from El Capitan. My hard drive is a 512 Gb Crucial SSD. The process went fine and I was using my computer again when it couldn’t open Preview, so I restarted the machine. I was never able to boot on my regular partition: there is a recurrent error message that says that it can’t access the files, and so it restarts on the install/boot partition until the message comes again.

In Recovery mode (Cmd+r at startup), trying to Repair the disk with SOS bring the following error: « fsroot tree is invalid », althought it can see the total size of the disk and also the size of space that is occupied by data.

I assume it’s the transition to APFS that has messed up something. I tried mounting the disk into an enclosure to read it within Gparted in Linux as an external drive: it sees it but doesn’t detect the file system.

I’m quite concerned by the issue as I have a big folder of my studio projects that I forgot to backup - the rest is OK...

Any hint on a possible fix before going to see the professionals?

Thanks a lot!

Hey Jeremy G

I Dunno if you still have this problem or not or if this post still relevant but I had the Same Problem till 3 days ago.
I updated to High Sierra 10.6.3 from El Capitan (with a clean install using a USB stick) some time last year and it was fine for about 3-4 months but noticed that the hard drive performing a little slow and froze some times and then recovered after about 3-4 secs. then one day my dedicated that it doesn't wanna boot up... i tried everything from recovery to safe mode to single user mode (verbose ....) and found out that the issue was that my SSD had became read-only and sometimes was't even detect by OS x...
so i thought hey no problem i just use a Linux Live Disk to sort it all out and reinstall my OS...
but every time i tried to format the drive it either didn't do it... or just formatted it and revert it back to it's original state... strange...
so to cut the story short i searched everywhere (google, tech forms, etc...) and everything pointed to my SSD being dead... so i wept and simply replaced it with a new one... but something deep in my mind still believed this to be a software issue so i kept the broken Hard Disk...
until 3 days ago:
i dunno if this works for anyone but i did something that i never knew about before till now and UPDATED MY SSD'S FIRMWARE... and it fixed EVERYTHING! i can read/write, format, blah blah blah...
the only thing that i can say is i did it in Windows 10 (Bootcamp) and before i updated the firmware i securely erased my SSD with the tool provided with Plextor (not diskpart) then cleaned my SSD with diskpart once again and slow formated it with Ex-Fat.
Then i went on to install OS's on it with HFS+ and NTFS.

So i guess i'll NEVER update my computer to High Sierra again and i hope this solution works for you...
Best Regards

P.S. sorry for my bad English i'm not a Native English Speaker

Reaction score
Not sure if the brand of the SSD makes a difference, but I have not had any such issues with High Sierra, other than it being somewhat of a resource hog. Until about 3 weeks ago, I had 3 Samsung SSDs that I have been using (and still use) with High Sierra. One of then is an 840 Pro 256 gig SSD inside my Mac Mini, and the other 2 are 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs each housed inside their own Orico Tool-Free enclosures. Each of them are formatted as APFS, and the two external ones have 3 partitions each. Two of those partitions I use for SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs (my mid 2017 13" Mac Book Air also has a 252 gig SSD (PCI "type), but not sure of the exact brand).

To repeat, I have never had any issues with running High Sierra on any of them, and have never updated the firmware (might try and see if there are any firmware updates available for any of them). Recently I purchased a Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig SSD, installed inside another took-free Orico enclosure, and I have been using it for Mojave testing. Again, things are fine.

As most folks know, I keep my machines "lean, mean, and clean". For the ones inside my Mac Mini and my Mac Book Air, I am only using about 35% of the total space. For the two SuperDuper! backups, I am utilizing about 70% of the allocated space for each partition, but given that I rarely boot from them, that is OK.

As far as performance goes, from what I have read, Samsung SSDs have been the best, and the most highly rated. Yes, there are other brands that are good also, but ones made by Samsung consistently are rated higher. Hence, that is the compelling reason why I use them.

Reaction score
i dunno if this works for anyone but i did something that i never knew about before till now and UPDATED MY SSD'S FIRMWARE... and it fixed EVERYTHING! i can read/write, format, blah blah blah...
the only thing that i can say is i did it in Windows 10 (Bootcamp) and before i updated the firmware i securely erased my SSD with the tool provided with Plextor (not diskpart) then cleaned my SSD with diskpart once again and slow formated it with Ex-Fat.
Then i went on to install OS's on it with HFS+ and NTFS.

They always say one learns something new every day! I have formatted USB Flash Drives as ExFat, Master Boot Record, and in fact need to have them formatted that way to use on our Samsung 65" Smart TV (I watch movies and TV series with them). And such Erasing and Formatting can be done with Disk Utility. But I have never formatted an entire drive/SSD like that, let alone installed a Mac OS onto it. I assume it works fine with your Mac and your Mac applications (Apple and third-party apps). Please let us know of that's true.

Ask a Question