Unsaved Word Document is lost

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was working on a word document when my mac shut down unexpectedly.
Once I restarted it and opened word, it was not there and gave me no option to pick up where I left off.
I have followed the advice of looking into the autorecovery folder, this is also empty.
Has anyone had an issue similar, why would the auto recovery folder be entirely empty?
Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Microsoft Office AutoRecovery works intermittently at best in my experience. Depending on the type of freeze/crash, it may or may not give Word the opportunity to save to the AutoRecovery folder.

Unfortunately, in the scenario you describe, there isn't any way to recover the file, unless you possibly have an external Time Machine external drive connected that may have saved a copy.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
Amanda probably won't get back to check on this forum thread, but to provide a solution for those who want to recover their unsaved Word Document - use the Disk Drill app.
It saved the day for me several times when I thought I'd lost my files completely.

If you've never used it before, here's a quick guide on using this app:

Ask a Question