On first click Word docs say 'can't be found' then they open on second click.

Reaction score
I bought Word 16.69.1 not long ago. It seems to be working fine, but recently many of the Word docs need to be clicked on twice before they open. Also, I notice that the file icons are often blank, instead of displaying the characteristic W (though these can still be opened.)

I am hoping this doesn't suggest malware or some other kind of file corruption. As far as I can see, there are no other signs of any damage to the files, no garbled text for example.

Is there any way to check this, preferably without downloading anything?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bought Word 16.69.1 not long ago. It seems to be working fine, but recently many of the Word docs need to be clicked on twice before they open. Also, I notice that the file icons are often blank, instead of displaying the characteristic W (though these can still be opened.)

I am hoping this doesn't suggest malware or some other kind of file corruption. As far as I can see, there are no other signs of any damage to the files, no garbled text for example.

Is there any way to check this, preferably without downloading anything?
Looks like you either need to reindex Spotlight or reset Launch Services, or both.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony, appreciated. I have no idea what those are but I will google promptly.
Reindexing Spotlight is fairly simple. Go to System Preferences/Settings, select Spotlight and click on Privacy…

A list of volumes and/or locations will come up to show which places you DO NOT WANT to be included in Spotlight searches. This list may be empty, if you had not precluded any location before. Add your main drive (Macintosh HD, probably). This will erase the Spotlight index of its contents. Close out, and restart. When you log back in, do the same with Spotlight preference, but this time, remove what you previously added. This will create a new Spotlight index.

See if the problem with Word is corrected. I doubt it, but reindexing was a good move anyway. Now you can look for a method to reset Launch Services. You said you did not want to download anything else, so you will have to use Terminal commands to accomplish this. There are a number of links when you Google the issue. Good luck.

Ask a Question