typical of hard drive issue?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am running snow leopard 10.6.1 on my MacBook 2.26 GHz Intel Core duo. For the last 6 months or so I have been having serious problems that have forced me to repeatedly re-install the OS from the original disk.

I have in fact done this so many times now that I am just getting used to doing it. I run disk utility every time and repair permissions and disk (as every time the disk utility tells me that repairs to both are needed.

Sometimes I am told that the hard drive has now been repaired and sometimes it tells me that the hard drive cannot be repaired, similar story with the permissions !!) The thing I find odd is that each time I do the re-installation the system appears to work perfectly well again, with no loss of information from the hard drive. However, at some stage, be it one week or three, the dreaded spinning ball appears, the system freezes, I have to do a cold shutdown (holding the power button for three seconds) and then the system will not re-boot, presenting me only with the grey screen and spinning thingy, or if i am lucky (note sarcasm) just a blue screen with cursor.

My question is for anyone who might be able to recognize these symptoms and say "yes dude that is definitely your hard drive that is f****d, you need to have it replaced" Because another suggestion has been that, rather than the hard drive, it could be the flexi-cable? or logic board ?

Thank you in advance

Ask a Question