TV and Music network set-up...This must be a common problem?!

Reaction score
Hi,

This is an Apple themed AV problem.

I'm trying to work out a TV and audio set up from scratch for the first time.

I've already done the cabling and probably would do a few things differently in hindsight but please, I can't redo stuff : )

In the living room:

I'd like a LCD HDTV (could be smart if thats the best thing),

with the ability to record while watching something else on the TV

I'd like to be able to store that content in an iTunes server on a NAS drive along with all my music (already in iTunes) and use my TV to access that recorded material and music.

And be able to play the music out on just a pair of small but decent bookshelf speakers.

I would also like to be able to have DAB radio (rather than just internet radio).

Connections already available where TV is going:

Lots of power sockets

Quadplex with dual SAT outputs, TV and DAB radio

SAT return input

4 x Ethernet sockets

Freesat dish, digital terrestrial and DAB aerials already on roof.

In my home office:

I was going to have an EyeTV Diversity (dual freesat tuner) and some active speakers so I can play music from iTunes and anything I record on my mac would be encoded and stored in itunes on the NAS drive (so could be accessed by TV in Living room)? Eye TV do other tuners though that may be better?

Connections already available Behind where computer is:

Lots of power sockets

Quadplex with dual SAT outputs TV and DAB radio

2 x Ethernet sockets

I have good WiFi as well with an Apple airport extreme and and airport express to extend reception a bit

but I would like to use the cabled connections as they're more reliable.

I thought a Freetime box in the living room, coupled with an Apple TV but how can you get get recorded progs onto the iTune library on the NAS drive?

Any possible solutions to any of these issues would be much appreciated as I am getting bogged down : )

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You would need some form of TV tuner/video capture device/software to record TV content, convert it to iTunes format, and store it on the NAS. An audio input device would work to input the audio from the DAB radio and allow it to be streamed around using some third-party software.

The investment would be easily in the $200+ range, and would take a bit of setup and testing to get the right workflow. Is that something you would want to explore further?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You would need some form of TV tuner/video capture device/software to record TV content, convert it to iTunes format, and store it on the NAS. An audio input device would work to input the audio from the DAB radio and allow it to be streamed around using some third-party software.

The investment would be easily in the $200+ range, and would take a bit of setup and testing to get the right workflow. Is that something you would want to explore further?

C
Yes please.
What I'm finding difficult to work out first is is there a simple way to just record any program you are watching what ever the source. So say I get a TV with a dual tuner, freesatHD and freeviewHD. Can I just record what ever I'm on as a file that I can then store on an iTunes lib on a NAS? IAs an alternative I thought I could set up a MAC mini and and get something like an eyeTV tuner and watch tv and record through that and then convert the file if I need to to store on itunes but I still run into the same problem that I have to chose between a freeview or freesat tuner or have a heap of boxes. And if they are built into the TV I can't record?

Ask a Question