Trouble updating from 9.0.4- 9.1

Reaction score
Was trying to update my G4(350mgh) from 9.0.4- 9.1. Ended up wiping everything out- tryed a restore and made it worse.
SO-
I basicly have started alll over and I am back at 9.0.4. But I can't seem to get to 9.1.
I have no internet access on my mac so I can not download an update directly. Have tried several times to download an update to my PC and burn a disk to take to my mac, have had friends do the same with thier macs- however, nothing seems to work. Sometimes I get a window telling me "checksum invalid", and other times I get one which says whatever version Im attempting to update with is not meant for my "newer" computer.
Can any one help me- I am completely lost and have just about given up hope.
I need the 9.1 update because my CD burner went down and I bought a new one which requires 9.1.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Sorry for the delay in replying, still catching up after the Christmas Holidays...

The "checksum invalid" would normally refer to the disk image...

The easiest way would be for one of your friends to download the update and burn to CD on a Mac, it can be done with something like Nero on a PC but you would have to make sure that the CD was HFS not ISO, but as you've already tried this...

I presume you have been downloading the update from here...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103

In theory it should just be a matter of installing OS 9.04 and then applying the 9.1 update...I must admit it has been quite some time since I have done it myself !

Have you got any further ? I'll double check my database's to see if I can find anything that may help.

The only thing I can think of at the minute, is to try booting of the install CD and then applying the update, or have you already tried that ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have tried twice to update with disc burned on macs- and those are the ones that gave me the "Chicksum invalid" reply-
I believe the link you gave is one I burned on a PC-
I also found 5 other "versions" with this download service- burned them to disk on a PC and those didn't work either.

"The only thing I can think of at the minute, is to try booting of the install CD and then applying the update, or have you already tried that ?"-
if you mean did I try booting at start-up by holding down the "c"key- YES, several times- I bought a "mac OS 9.1-install" disk and did it several times- however after I installed it pretty much wiped out everything- then I foolishly tried to restore and made things worse- my previous system folder was saved though so I tried replacing all the items but for some reason certain things don't work now- real player, quicktime, my DVD player(CD works fine though and they are the same drive!!), and NOW when I try to boot from the CD it does not work.
Im going to try again with the version from your link.
thanks for the reply-
C

Reaction score
Ric told me on a slightly separate issue, that if your firm ware is 4.2.8 that you will need 9.1 to boot up. Go into your firm ware and see if you are using 4.2.8

Ask a Question