troubles updating to Yosemite ( App Store)

wwi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Macbook pro late 2009.

HD failed and I had to install a new drive. Since nothing was starting with a blank HD had to return back to an old OS, snow leopard 10.6.8 (installation disks were included with the original computer purchase, so i used them as a start).
software fully updated (but OS is still 10.6.8).

wanted to install Mavericks (it has been running before the crash). Went to App Store and logged in with my ID. I can see all the purchases, but i cannot download them to my mac (download turns grey but nothing is going on). Same with Yosemite - downloading does not start.

Yes, it is an old mac, but specs are still ok to support the OS.

What can be the reason i cannot even download my previous purchases (Lion, Mavericks) or update the snow leopard to Yosemite.

any idea is highly appreciated.

(p.s. going to the nearest mac store for help is out of question - that guys are only capable to sell new products. by experience, their tech knowledge is simply absent. hope it's different in other locations).

Reaction score
It is tricky to try and download some things from the App Store, as one needs to know where to "see" the download. I know that for Mavericks and Yosemite, it does take some time. If the download did complete, the "Install OS X Mavericks" file should be in your Applications Folder (same will be true for Yosemite, except the file name will be "Install OS X Yosemite").

Once you get the file downloaded, and BEFORE you do anything else, make a copy of that file. If you make that copy on your internal drive, go to the Applications Folder, just click on the file name (but do not release the mouse button), then hold down the Option Key, and drag that file to another location, outside of the Applications Folder. That will make an exact copy of the file. When you start the install process by clicking on the Install file, after the installation is complete, the file will be gone from the Applications Folder. That is why it is best to have a copy of it somewhere else, so if you need to do the installation again, you can Option-drag that file back to the Applications Folder, and run it again.

Yes, you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Yosemite, but it might be better to upgrade to Mavericks first. This way, you can see how your machine performs with it. Remember, you'd be jumping up from Version 10.6.8 to Version 10.9.5 of the Mac OS. That's pretty substantial.

Last edited:

wwi

Reaction score
the problem is that downloading (from app store) does not start. cannot load the previous purchases, cannot upgrade to yosemite.

Ask a Question