transferring iphoto from my iphone to another mac

Reaction score
Hello,
My macbook won't switch on, I thought that if this ever happened it would be ok because all my photos are synched to my iphone everytime I charge it, but now I can't work out how to get all my photos off my phone and onto another mac.
When I open iphoto and click on my iphone the only photos that are available to download are from the camera roll, but on my iphone I can see all the photos that were on my macbook.
How do I get everything from my phone to my mac?
Thankyou!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
When iPhoto detects an iPhone/camera had been connected it will open but just quit it then try using Image Capture (in the apps folder ) to get the pictures off of the phone. They should be downloaded from the iPhone into a folder of your choosing, in a perfect world ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, when I do that the computer only 'sees' the same photos that iphoto does - the ones on the the 'camera roll'
I've discovered I can email each photo to myself individually and download it from my email, but there's over a 1000 photos! that could take weeks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You might try using Preview.app, in the File menu you should be able to import your photos.

You mention a "Camera Roll" ... and over 1000 photos ... why are the other photos not in a camera roll?

I don't have an iPhone btw

Reaction score
The camera roll contains photos taken with the iphone camera which have not yet been downloaded. Also stored on the iphone is my entire iphoto library, which I cannot get to.
anyone know about this? would it help?
http://avatron.com/apps/air-sharing

Reaction score
Hi,

Need more info, have you created projects / folders as events and have images within them. Like me which creates a list starting with camera roll / photo library then I have about 10 location folders and 12 event folders.
Is this correct?

If so then am not sure how you would do this:( (other than third party software or as you are doing email)as most software only sees the iPhones camera roll.

Personally I learnt this with my first iPhone 3 so now have all iPhone image projects ( not camera roll or photo library as these are take care of with iCloud) backed up on a memory stick that I add images to then transfer via iTunes. This way I always have a backup easily accessible.

My macbook won't switch on

What have you tried so far to solve this issue?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Can you create projects/folders and shift photos around by default on an iPhone? Wonder why iPhoto can't see them? I have to use a 3rd party file manager app on my Android phone to do that!

Sounds like a job for Dropbox ....

Reaction score
Hi SD,

Can you create projects/folders
Yes as I have done and as screen shot, have a bout 20:D

shift photos around by default on an iPhone?
Not that I am aware of.:(

Wonder why iPhoto can't see them?
iPhoto and Aperture only see your photo stream at present.

You might try using Preview.app, in the File menu you should be able to import your photos.
Sadly again this only lets you download the camera roll:(

Sounds like a job for Dropbox ....
I was thinking this as well so just tried, but alas again this only syncs the camera roll.
So think as you do robyn will need third party software.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    268.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 09.42.22.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 09.42.22.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 340

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi SD,

Yes as I have done and as screen shot, have a bout 20:D

Hi oldscribe ... so if you can create albums/folders by default, but can't shift photos around by default, how do you move a photo into a new album or folder?

I'm just used to my Android where you need a file manager to do all of the above and you get one from Google Play market

Reaction score
Hi SD,

I have a 64BG stick with all my named image folders, which I add or delete to and from. With the stick plugged into the Mac I open iTunes then connect the phone and sync the iPhone photos with the stick as screen shot, sounds long winded but very quick and easy.:D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.00.18.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 10.00.18.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 339

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Ah, I see ... so I'm left wondering how the OP achieved what seems very similar to your setup but still has issues accessing these folders etc?

Reaction score
Me to, as it is the only way I know of doing this. Have not seen the keynote yet so maybe things will change with the new iOS release.

Hope the OP gets back with info.

Reaction score
The photos are not just ones taken on the iphone, they are all the photos which are in my iphoto library on my macbook.
So normally I hook my camera/iphone up to my macbook and download the photos, which then automatically get grouped into 'events' by iphoto. I then synch my iphone with my macbook and all the photos in my iphoto library appear on my iphone, I can view them grouped as events, albums (where I've created them on my macbook) or as the full photo library, last 12 months etc. - just as they appear on iphoto on my macbook.
When I email them from my iphone they are at full size, same as on my macbook, so the files are there on the phone, but not accessible when I plug the phone into a different computer (an old desktop mac)
It's very frustrating, I have an ipod which I used to synch all my photos to, and whe that is plugged in you can view all files on it as though its a memory stick or similar, I assumed the iphone would work in the same way.
I haven't tried to solve the problem of the dead macbook because I haven't even the faintest idea where to start, When plugged in the charger shows a green light, but nothing happens at all when I press the power button, without even being able to power it up I can't see what I can do except try and salvage my photos via my iphone. I've an appointment at the 'genius bar' for it on tuesday, but I don't hold out much hope.
I've read there's a possibility that if the hard drive is ok, which it might not be, then I might be able to extract it and buy a casing for it to use it as an external hard drive, and retrieve my data that way. I'm not holding out much hope though.

Reaction score
Hi,

Arr I understand now, did not know you had used iPhoto for this, taking to Apple is a good idea and regarding data retrieval I believe that comes under the Apple care centres but the GB may do it for you, even if the drive is / has failed then you should still be able to get all your data back, that is a positive.
The photos are not just ones taken on the iphone, they are all the photos which are in my iphoto library on my macbook.
And again as long as you have been running Time Machine then you iPhoto Library will be backed up so transferable at a future date.

Ask a Question