Too Little RAM

Reaction score
I have 8 GB Ram on two 4GB cards on my 2018 mac-mini. I thought that would be plenty. It isn't. I'd like to go to 16 or even 32 just to be free of worrying about for years. The cost isn't an issue but time without it is. I've read horror stories about DIY problems (static and all that). How hard is it really and what should I do about about static? The local Geek Squad won't even give me a price by email or time estimate and it seems pretty straight-forward.

I'm reasonably mechanically ept. I repaired my old digital watch a few times, and have delicate tools. Is a RAM replacement something I can expect to do safely?

Is there one you would recommend?

Reaction score
Ram replacement is usually one of the easier upgrades.
OWC have videos of how to do this on their site. If you take your time and follow the video instructions, step by step and use the correct tools, you will be OK.
I have used OWC's video to swap out the hard drive on my 2008 iMac, which seemed daunting at first but I watched the video a couple of times and the did the upgrade with no hassle.

Reaction score
OK, , I just ordered ...
  • 16.0GB (2 x 8GB KIT) PC4-21300 DDR4, 260-pin, SO-DIMM, 1.2V, RoHS Certified, warranty safe memory upgrade
  • Memory Upgrade Compatible with 2018 Mac mini: Mac mini (Late 2018) (November, 2018) Model ID: Macmini8,1 (3.6GHz i3, 3.0GHz i5, 3.2GHz i7)
  • Memory Upgrade Compatible with 2019 iMac: iMac w/Retina 5K display (27-inch Early 2019) Model ID: iMac19,1 (3.0GHz i5, 3.1GHz i5, 3.7GHz i5, 3.6GHz i9)
  • Memory Upgrade Compatible with 2020 iMac: iMac w/Retina 5K display (27 inch mid 2020) Model ID: iMac20,1 and iMac20,2 (3.1GHz i5, 3.3GHz i5, 3.8GHz i7, 3.6GHz i9)
  • Free technical support from our expert technicians, online installation videos available, Every module is backed by OWC Memory Lifetime Limited Warranty including the OWC Lifetime Advanced Replacement Program
And a static discharge strap (I'm a walking Leyden jar)... Just to be safe.

Ask a Question