To upgrade or not???

Reaction score
I just received notice from TurboTax that I should get macOS Sierra (version 10.12) or above. I have no objection to upgrading, but I am concerned over issues with that upgrade. I presently use OS X El Capitan (v 10.11.6) on my iMac (20-inch, Early 2008). I would very much appreciate some guidance concerning this upgrade on my old (but wonderful) Mac. Thanks - jacks

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, you are already running the maximum version of OS X that your iMac supports - 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Is this the downloadable or online version? Your iMac and OS show as compatible:
Minimum System Requirements for TurboTax Mac Software
TurboTax Online System Requirements for Tax Year 2017

Hope that helps,

C
Cory,
Thanks for your quick response.
Owing to this situation . . . what are my alternatives? Disembowel and reconstruct or purchase new or rebuilt machine? Any suggestions.
I am also using Time Machine to back up to my external Western Digital 500GB - I presume that this should also be upgraded, and if so what would you recommend.
Thanks again for your assistance.
JAS

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Honestly, you are good for this year as far as TurboTax is concerned. There isn't any way to upgrade your iMac's hardware, other than adding RAM. At some point, you will need to purchase a new or used model that is more current. Depending on which model you upgrade to, your current Time Machine drive may or may not be compatible, due to the connection type. You won't need to replace it, as long as the new machine has the same connectivity port or there is an available adapter. It will backup newer versions of OS X just fine.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

Honestly, you are good for this year as far as TurboTax is concerned. There isn't any way to upgrade your iMac's hardware, other than adding RAM. At some point, you will need to purchase a new or used model that is more current. Depending on which model you upgrade to, your current Time Machine drive may or may not be compatible, due to the connection type. You won't need to replace it, as long as the new machine has the same connectivity port or there is an available adapter. It will backup newer versions of OS X just fine.

C
Thanks again.
John

Reaction score
Thanks again.
John
Well, Cory - I bit the bullet and purchased a new (late 2015 model still in the box) 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K display with 8GB memory and 512GB solid state drive. I will also continue to use my external Western Digital 500GB backup. The new iMac is pre-loaded with MacOS 10.12 Sierra. My questions are as follows: How should I go about transferring my old (10+ yrs iMac) data etc to my new iMac? Are there any "pitfalls" I should be aware of during this process? Thanks again for your valued assistance and guidance.
John

Ask a Question