time machine

Reaction score
Please provide more details:

1. What Mac model do you have?

2. What Mac OS are you running?

3. Backing up to an external device?

4. How often do you have Time Machine running?

Sorry for that last question, but I use SuperDuper! for my backups, instead of Time Machine. But, by you giving us those details, we can help you better.

Reaction score
Please provide more details:

1. What Mac model do you have?

2. What Mac OS are you running?

3. Backing up to an external device?

4. How often do you have Time Machine running?

Sorry for that last question, but I use SuperDuper! for my backups, instead of Time Machine. But, by you giving us those details, we can help you better.
i am running a i-mac with the program el-captian.i don't have a external drive set up

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If you do not have an external drive setup and connected, you cannot use Time Machine, which is why it s greyed out. Time Machine cannot backup to the built-in drive, as that defeats the purpose of making a secondary backup/copy of your data.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was going to say! Thanks, Cory.

It would be extremely wise to 1) purchase an external drive, and 2) start doing backups ASAP. You are definitely asking for trouble with having no backups.

A number of folks come here for help, and yet they have no backups. In fact, one individual posted an issue about their machine not being able to accept keyboard input, in some instances. That individual could not use the machine to complete a critical deadline. All the critical information was on the internal drive. Bur there was no backup, and thus we could not provide any meaningful/safe assistance.

Similar circumstances have occurred with other individuals posting here. The moral of the story is, of course, to make frequent backups to an external device.

Ask a Question