Time Machine Volume filled up

Reaction score
I thought that Time machine was supposed to delete it's oldest backups on a volume in order to install it's latest.

I have a partition of 249.7 gb, on a 1Tb external drive, that is used for time Machine to back up to. The ' Get Info' function tells me that there is 124.89 gb available and used is 124 .809 gb.

I am getting notification that the Time Machine backup failed because there isn't enough space on this volume.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer with this query.

Peter Russell

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Time Machine is supposed to delete older backups and notify you, when it needs to make room for the current backup.

-Which version of OS X?
-Do you backup any other Macs on that external HD Time Machine partition?
-Have you recently upgraded OS X to a newer version?

C

Reaction score
OS 10.11.6

Time Machine never notifies to make room; I do get a message that the backup failed when the external hd is full.

Reaction score
I don't use Time Machine, but prefer SuperDuper!. When I do a backup of my system with SuperDuper! to a partition which has the previous SuperDuper! backup, it does let me know that it is going to erase that prior one before the backup actually starts. Kind of surprised Time Machine does not do the same.

Ask a Question