Time Machine Restart Glitches

Reaction score
My Hard Drive on a late 07 iMac broke. I had it replaced. With Time Machine I restored the HD to what it was before the break. The non-Mac stuff worked, but anything to do with the Mac – Safari, Mail, Pages, TextEdit, Stickies, System Preferences, Disk Utility, … breaks up on re-entry: “… quit unexpectedly” with an invitation to Ignore/Report…/Relaunch. Removing the preference files doesn’t work.
Does anybody recognise this? And what should I try next?

Reaction score
Posting Quick Reply – Please Wait (still waiting, 10 minutes)

Since the Apple apps can’t be accessed, I thought I could get round it by re-installing and going back to a Time Machine copy of the HD say a month be-fore the HD broke. Put the Leopard Install Disc in, clicked Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software.app so I could go to the menu item to restore from Time Machine. “The application Install Mac OS X quit unexpectedly, etc.” I went to the Install & Setup Guide: “The application Preview quit unexpectedly, etc.” “Simply” Get Info and open with another app. I can have model T Pre-view or … black.
I’m going to try Restart pressing ‘C’ (Or is it ‘F’ as the Apple bloke I rang to ask about the HD breakage said – I better not ring him again or he’ll charge me £35 to give all sorts of technical advice except what’ll fix the problem – if they knew it would be in the Everything Mac booklet: 4 Problem, Meet Solution or FAQs somewhere – or £135 will get me "free" advice every time the Mac breaks. He thinks I’m a SubPrimate …

I’m going out, I may be some time …

[Richard: the HD only bust last week. I've had no emails from you for months - it may be that since Karoo (Kingston Communications) contracted out their spam filtering it's got you down as mechanically recovered meat and thrown you into a tarpit.]

Reaction score
What a nightmare. I have nothing to suggest that hasn't occurred to you already - but you can probably access your emails on the Karoo website, so you're not cut off from that at least.

Reaction score
Back. Everything's like it was before the crash, except that the system can't find Apple's wireless mouse or keyboard, and the Logitech wireless mouse doesn't exist, and is operating from some hyperspatial vacuum. Its setting have been changed. Richard, I'll touch base later.

Reaction score
My original Quick Reply disappeared. In the last one, I forgot to add: when I installed Leopard, this time it asked for Install Disc 2 (it didn't before). So that's why the Apple stuff works now.
It's just found and paired with the wireless keyboard, but can't find the Mighty Mouse. The Logitech mouse still doesn't exist, although System Preferences changes some of the settings - tracking speed, zoom by Command-Scroll. I'll try PRAM-zap later. Pages is doing weird things - A couple of columns at the right of a table have greyed out and the blue tube at the bottom has gone, so I can't move it sideways.

Ask a Question