SOLVED Time Machine problem.

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my iMac was not backing up to my Time Machine backup drive ( 2tb external USB). Against the Latest backup there is a red dot with an i in it when I click on it I get the message:

"Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Backup”.
Time Machine did not back up because FileVault was encrypting or decrypting a disk.
Backups will resume once FileVault finishes."

But I have Filevault switched off, so not sure what is happening, any thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm, not something I have run across. A little scary since FileVault isn't enabled.

Have you tried unmounting the external TM drive, restarting the iMac, remounting the drive, and trying it again?

C

Reaction score
Itried all that, double checked that Filevault is Off, I even changed to a clean empty drive for the backup. After re-reading the error message, where it says backups will resume when File Vault finishes, I left the Imac o overnight , the red dot has gone and the backup has completed. I will keep an eye on it for the next scheduled backup.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Huh.

Glad it finally completed. If the same issue happens again, you may need to wipe the HD and perform a fresh install.

Keep us in the loop,

C

Reaction score
At the moment time machine will back up to the external USB drive, but gets stuck when trying to backup to my Time Capsule.
My thoughts were to do a nice clean install and take it from there, just need to find a spare couple of hours to do it :)

Reaction score
Tried leaving the backup to Time Capsule overnight and that too seems to have done the trick.

Ask a Question