Permission Problems on Time Machine

Reaction score
I had some kind of malware on my Mac. Whenever I shut down it would tell me that there were hundreds of "users" sharing my iMac. I also noticed that if I tried to use my gmail account there was a different account logged in to the gmail. I immediately changed my password just in case. I could not get rid of the issue so I decided to restore my hard drive from a Time Machine backup disk. Now when I try to use the Time Machine it indicates that I don't have the proper permissions to access the disk. I have tried to repair the disk with Disk Utility but it doesn't find any problems with permissions.

I have tried to change the permission settings using the "Get Info" but it indicates that all read/write permissions are "custom". I try to change them but nothing is accepted. So, I can't access my old Time Machine backups at all. I assume that my latest backup was under the password while the malware was active and since I changed the password it has messed up the permissions and ownership.

I don't know how to resolve this problem. Any ideas?

Ask a Question