Permission problems/Mac Server 10.2.8

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a Apple PowerMac G4 at my place of business we use as a file server running Mac Server 10.2.8. All Apple updates have been applied.

We have are having permission problems. For instance, someone can place a file on the server, then go back to retrieve it and not have access to their own file. Or someone can place a file on the server then someone else belonging to the same group either can't access the file at all or they can but have to change the name of the file/the file becomes Read only. Very Strange.

The files are Microsoft Word, PDf, Powerpoint, ect. The permissions are not being altered by the original creator before be placed on the server.

We have a mixed Macintosh & Windows environment. Windows users are 95% XP, while Mac users are Mac OS 10.3-10.5.

I have repaired permissions & restarted the system many times.

Is there any thing we can do fix this without just giving everyone read/write privileges?

I have spent hours going into folder after folder resetting permissions so people can access files.

Also, if I do a "get info" on a folder and set permissions to a specific owner and group then press the "change all items" button, the files inside the folders don't change.

The permissions are set using the Workgroup Manager. They just don't seem to "stick" all the time.

That's why I have resorted to doing a Get Info and setting each individual file.

Would upgrading to a newer version of Macintosh Server software help?

Could I have done something wrong setting up the share points in Workgroup Manager?

Thank you,
Michael

Ask a Question