Dual Drive - Permission Error Problems of Macintosh HD

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this community and joined because of an ongoing error permission problem with my Macintosh HD.

Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro
2 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB RAM DDR 3
Startup Disk SSD ( Samsung EVO 128 GB)

After exchanging the HD for the Samsung Evo and putting the HD in the optical drive, the HD seemed to experience permission errors. Sometimes I can move files to it sometimes it throws an error code.
The way I set it up was that the SSD is only used as a startup disk so I could have all of my files on the HD but since it is not working all the time, I had to install most things on the SSD..

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
Also, I am not able to repair permissions of the HD even though I can access it and changed the permission in the menu in the left bottom corner.

Thank you for your help!

miba12

Reaction score
It would be good to know what OS you are using. But, I kind of did something similar with my Mac Mini, in which I replaced the slow 1 TB 5400 hard drive (went into a nice, thin external case) with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD. Not sure, though, that putting the drive in the DVD slot would make an issue with permissions, moving files, etc.

Did you try and use Disk Utility for analyzing the hard drive? If you have an external backup of everything, that will be safer. But, you could try and use Disk Utility to 1) Verify and Repair the disk at the "top" level, 2) Verify and Repair Permissions at the "partition" level, and 3) Verify and Repair the disk at that same partition level (not sure if that step is necessary, assuming you do #1 first. (I actually just used Disk Utility to Verify Permissions on an external drive's partition, and although it took some time, it worked fine).

If Disk Utility does not help much (if at all), then it would be good to invest in a more robust disk maintenance/repair program, like either Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro.

Ask a Question