Dual Hard drive question.

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a Dual G4 Destop, I have an OS X Hardrive via Sata to PATA adapter which works great. Because I have so many classic OS games I wanted to put in a second hard drive with OS 9.1. Well I tried doing this via another Sata to Pata adapter and a hardrive. Well here is the story. If I have both plugged in the mac wont boot up but just a gray screen pops up. If I have just one hooked up, whiter its the 9.1 or OSX one they boot up just fine. So the question is how to get both hardrives installed and not just one. So I can flip back and forth via the startup disk depending on which OS I want to use.

Thanks in advance.
PG

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
With both hard drives connected, what happens when you boot up holding down the Option key after the startup chime?

It could just be going from one OS version to another the system is unsure of the startup disc …. I don't know for sure.

I'm not sure if the article found at the link below is relevant:

Mac OS: Disc is available in Mac OS X but not in Mac OS 9

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds to me like the adapters are causing the issue.

-Which model Power Mac G4?
-What brand/model are the adapters?
-What size are the SATA HDs?
-What version of OS 9 and OS X are installed?

C

Reaction score
OK first off there never is a chime and when I hold the option key down I get a circle arrow in a box with a straight horizontal arrow in a box. with my mouse pointer being functional. I also tried booting up with one hard drive and just the adapter on the other. Same thing. So now I wonder if it's the adapters? But still with just one hooked up it works just fine.

Ask a Question