Time capsule

Reaction score
I have a Mac desktop Model A1311 - 2010 running on Sierra 10.12.6. I also use Time Machine for back up to a Time Capsule. I understand Apple has discontinued Time Capsule and since mine is 10 years old I am concerned about it dying soon - both the computer and the backup. What I am looking for is the best (easiest) way to replace Time Capsule. All I really want is a reliable backup so all the additional features are not necessary. I do like that the backup is connected and happens automatically. Synology (DS models) has been mentioned but it seems like overkill. Any suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would just purchase an external HD and leave it connected. It will have the exact same Time Machine functions, except it is hard wired versus over Wi-Fi. Of course, if your Time Capsule is your Wi-Fi router, you will have to buy one of those as well.

C

Reaction score
Cory
Thanks. It is also my router. Are you aware of another external hard drive that also acts as a router?
Dan

Reaction score
When my old Time Capsule bit the dust, I used a Raspberry Pi and an SSD build a 'Time Machine' so that I could continue back ups over Wi-Fi and it worked well. I have since purchased a replacement Time Capsule, but I will probably repeat the project if I need to in the future.
Link to details

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Along with Lufbrarunner's suggestion, I don't know of any routers that have a hard drive built-in other than Apple's Time Capsule. There may be some that have the ability to connect a hard drive to for NAS (netowrk attached storage), but not many that would support Time Machine.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will check out the local Apple store with this in hand.

Ask a Question