Time Capsule - software

Reaction score
Back in early July I wrote about my apparently failing Time Capsule. In summary the Time Capsule works fine with my 2011 i-Mac but my 2016 MBPro repeatedly announces that the Time Machine has completed a verification of my backups and, to improve reliability it must create a new backup.

This involves removing all earlier backups and starting afresh.

On Friday last I spent a few hours talking with Apple support. No solution was found but I was told that this fault had been logged and over time might make its way into a periodic update.

Would it therefore be reasonable, in hope of a cure, to remove Time Machine, [Time Capsule A1470, v 7.9.1] on a software update v1.3, entirely and re-download a fresh copy?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Yes, since you have done a lot of troubleshooting, a good next step would be to erase the Time Capsule completely, and reset it to factory settings. You can then set it up again, and creat brand new Time Machine backups of your Macs.

Of course, it would be a good idea to make a backup with another drive before going through that, so your data is safe.

C

Reaction score
Cory,

Thank you for your comments. I'm going to hold off radical action for a while. Somehow my MBP has resumed taking scheduled back-ups to my Time Capsule - since Thursday 11th. This occurred before the iOS update which I loaded yesterday. There wasn't a sneaky secret update by Apple some other way which might have put right the Time Machine software, was there?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Great news!

No, I highly doubt that. I would guess maybe it needed a bit of time to sit and resent itself = computer voodoo.

Glad it's working again.

C

Ask a Question