tiger troubles

Reaction score
recently i installed a benq dvd writer in my franken mac (which used to be a AGP G4 400 mhz )
and installed tiger over panther
everything went fine

but after i updated from 4 to 4.4 to 4.5 i am encountering 3 problems
1 is annoying the other might be worse off

the first is the internet connectionbothering me on reboot about there being no internet connection
i know that the cable is not attached

this is just a minor annoyance but i want it to stop

the second is my norton firewall complaining that certain parts of the kernel can not be started the fire wal wil work but certain features are not availble
i already tried to reinstall it but th eproblem presists which leads me to believe that removing a app from X is a more involveld process then
just chucking it away

the third app that is playing up is vpc 7
which works fine apart from the small niggle that the virtual switch doenst work
and that means the virtual pc's can not go online when i hook this machine up
again very annoying

vpc 7 has also been reinstalled
so how to remedy the problem apart from the drastic wipe hd and install tiger clean

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi...hope this helps,

1. Internet Connection: Are you running Dialup, DSL, or cable? Is this particular Mac not connected all the time to the Ethernet cable (I assume that is the type of connecting you are referring to in your post). One way to get rid of this is:

a. System Preferences > Network
b. Click on Show: select Network Port Configurations
c. Uncheck all and click Apply Now

When you do connect to the Internet in the future, you will do the same steps, but activate the port (Built-In Ethernet) that you use to connect. In addition, this usually only happens when there is an application/service that immediately tries to connect to the Internet upon startup...i.e. any automatic update checking apps (QuickTime, Software Update, and others), etc. You can try unchecking the auto-update feature for those apps within the appropriate Preference pane in System Preferences.

2. Norton Firewall: Have you tried deleting/reinstalling this recently? Have you always had this issue? Do you have the most current version installed?

Norton Utilities has recently been discontinued for updates by Symantec. Personally, I don't like nor recommend any Norton product be run in OS X. The built-in OS X Firewall is actually very good and will protect your Mac very well. It's easy to configure as well.

3. Virtual PC: I assume you are using VPC 7? Have you updated it to 7.0.2? Mine works beautifully.

Anyway, some of these issues might be due to the fact that it is a FrankenMac, but we should be able to get most resolved. ;)

C

Reaction score
cable internet its currently not hooked up to to the internet
i have a few things to do online yet with windows
ill give the suggestion a whirl

norton firewall 3
i removed it and reinstalled it today and the problem presisted
but i am not sure if actually removed it correctly mac os X has this tendency to keep things behind

i wasnt aware that mac os X has its own fire wall
how would i totally remove norton firewal ? ( or indeed any other X aplication just throwing it away is apparantly not enough )

it is vpc 7 i recently tried to reinstall it no go
havent tried the update yet
a direct link by any chance ? microsofts site is a marvel at disorganisation ( bit like my hand writing ) especially concerning mac software

it has never done this before i was running vpc 7 on this franken mac
under panther and tiger
the problems began when i updated to 4.4 and 4.5

thanks for the help

Reaction score
Hi bluekatt, Just a couple of ideas to add to Corey's suggestions. I am just wondering if you repaired permissions and cleaned any caches before the over-install of Tiger?

Have you tried to repair permissions since?

When you deleted Norton did you do a search for any other files (such as .plist files) related to Norton and delete them?

Norton is renown for causing havoc on systems, and personally, I would not recommend that you use it. You could use OSX in-built firewall as suggested, and use an anit-virus such as Clam AV which is also free if you do decided to ditch Norton.

Reaction score
about cleaning cache's and repairing permission
no

about repairing permissions again no again

about norton the awnser is again no

i am primairy a windows user ( is that a choir of boo's and hisses ? )
and even though quite adept with mac os some fo the finer nuances of X elude me
like repairing permissions or having to scource the hd for files the app leaves behind
( so much for the illusion that the mac is easy then at least with windows the apps come with an uninstal option :p )

and norton ? well as i said im a windows user we live or die with norton

i suppose it true there is no easy nix version at al ; )

Ric

Reaction score
...we use to live and die with Nortons to !

have just been to PC land today installing a nice fresh copy of Nortons on a relatives PC...nice and safe now !

Doesn't Nortons on the Mac have an Uninstall option if you run the installer again ?

If you need help with repair permissions etc let us know and we'll post a few piccies....

regards

Ric

Ask a Question