Tiger on a G4 Quicksilver, a long journey?

Reaction score
Hello
I am very new to MACS (well, had a Powerbook years ago in the forgotten past) and have recently acquired a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver. There is hardly anything on it, so plenty of memory and as certain applications and upgrades were not possible wit the existing OS9 ad OSX 10.1 then I wanted to update to OSX Tiger. Should be possible right?
Anyway, much toing and froing, bought Tiger and now think I do not have a DVD drive. I now how to check Hardware properties on a PC but not a Mac. Any help?
Going on, I think I have 2 options, exchange the Tiger DVD for x4 CD's at another £40 cost or get a DVD drive fitted. The latter seems a better longterm bet and so any advice on the best way to do this or the best place to take it to??????

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi and welcome!

To check hardware, click on the Apple menu in the upper left, select About This Mac, then click More Info. To see the optical drive info, select ATA. Let me know what it says there. (This is for OS X)

As for adding if yours doesn't support DVD, I woulod suggest an external FireWire DVD-R drive. Many makers...I recommend LaCie.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory and thanks for your help.

I have had this problem before, although I may be being naive. Wen I got to "About this MAC," there is not option for, "More Info." Is there any other route to this info?

Do you think it would be easier to use an external DVD drive? Would it then just be a matter of okuggin one into the firewire?

Thanks again

Jason

Reaction score
Jason
Another way to get where Cory was directing you is to go to your "Applications" folder, then to the "Utilities" folder and launch "System Profiler" and then continue with Cory's directions, to see the optical drive info, select ATA.
I agree that if you don't have a DVD drive, a LaCie external DVD drive would be the best addition.
Zeyhra

Reaction score
Hi Zehyra

Thanks for your advice, I shall give it a go a little later.

You are the third person to recommend a Lacie DVD drive and so it is becoming unanimous.

Thanks again

Jason

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Jason and welcome,

I'm quite happy with LaCie too ;-)

When you get to the System Profiler bit..let us know the 'exact model' and then we can let you know what type of internal drive you could get...if you wanted to go that way ! It may be a cheaper option, especially if you have one already in a PC...that you could pop in to do the install !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question