Thunderbolt/usb4

Reaction score
I have a 2012 27” iMac with 2 thunderbolt/usb4 slots on back. I would like to use these to install a external hard drive. I am throughly confused on all the connection types and which ones would work with my computer. What cable would I need for a hard drive to be able to use these slots. I am already using all my usb available and these thunderbolt slots are open. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
That would depend on the port/slot on the external drive. Your iMac has Thunderbolt1/2 ports so you would need a cable with a Thunderbolt plug on one end and a plug to fit the external drive. Again, depending on the drive, you may also need an adaptor between the drive and the cable.

Come back with suggestion for a drive.

Reaction score
I don’t have a clue. I would like a drive that would plug into my thunderbolt but having trouble with finding one that says it’s compatible with thunderbolt 1 or 2. I get confused and don’t understand if it would work. They start going off into the thunderbolt 3 and stuff I don’t understand. when I search for a Thunderbolt external drive it comes up with mostly usb drives Maybe you can help me search with a better description of what I am trying to find. Will use for backup and maybe creat a bootable disk on it.

Reaction score
The two Sandisk drives here have USB C ports. There are, of course, other brands. Ignore the fact that the page is for a MacBook Pro. The drives will work with all computers.

You will need one of these to plug into the drive:

then one of these cables to connect to your iMac:

Reaction score
The two Sandisk drives here have USB C ports. There are, of course, other brands. Ignore the fact that the page is for a MacBook Pro. The drives will work with all computers.

You will need one of these to plug into the drive:

then one of these cables to connect to your iMac:
Thank you so much for all the effort you put in. If I am buying all these cables is it worth it just to use my thunderbolt port. Am I gaining speed, dependability or what. Seems like a awful lot of extra things to buy. Could I just use my Usb A and get an adapter from that USB A to USB C and if so would it work as well?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the effort you put in. If I am buying all these cables is it worth it just to use my thunderbolt port. Am I gaining speed, dependability or what. Seems like a awful lot of extra things to buy. Could I just use my Usb A and get an adapter from that USB A to USB C and if so would it work as well?
It's all about the read/write speed to the drive. If you are happy with the slower speed using the USB ports on your iMac than that's OK. For normal use you probably won't notice the difference.

Reaction score
My Late 2013 iMac uses Thunderbolt-1. I'll be giving it to my grandson as soon as a 32-bit program that I need's 64-bit version goes beta. I also have a M1 iMac.

You can identify the version of thunderbolt from the speed of the ports:
I have a Thunderbolt-3 to Thunderbolt-2 (or Thunderbolt-1) adapter that I never used. It plugs into newer Macs to allow older Thunderbolt cords to plug into them. Well, I have a Thunderbolt-2 to HDMI cord that could use it, but I just replaced it when I got my M1 iMac. (My grandson will get my 2013 iMac as soon as a program I need's conversion to 64-bit goes beta). I didn't find a cord that would plug into the old iMac and allow newer Thunderbolt or USB to use it.

I also have an external disk that came with both style of USB cords. I don't know how much faster it would be if it used Thunderbolt. My iMac has USB 3.1 which is up to 10 GB/s (same as your Thunderbolt 1), I don't know how fast the disk is.

I knew that I would need a hub when I bought my M1. I made a mistake and bought an unpowered hub and have had some problems because it couldn't power everything I have plugged in. As long as I needed to spend more money, I should have bought a Thunderbolt-3 hub instead of a USB-A hub. I doubt if you could get a powered Thunderbolt-2. But a powered hub that had both USB-A and USB-B cables might do what you need (and still be able to connect to more modern computers).

Ask a Question