The Safari in my iPad alerts a virus detected.

Reaction score
The Safari in my iPad pops an alert that a virus was detected, gives a phone number, NOT Mac Support's, with Contact Immediately. Can I eliminate the version, and simply re-download it, since Safari comes with our OS?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

That is definitely a fake alert, so do not call the number! You could try removing Safari and reinstalling, but that probably won't resolve the issue.
  • Which model iPad?
  • Which version of iOS/iPadOS?
  • Does it happen on all websites, some, or intermittently?
  • Are there any profiles listed in Settings > General > VPN & Device Management?
  • Have you tried Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data?
  • Are there any apps installed on the iPad that you are not familiar with?
C

Reaction score
Thanks for replying at all, and these advices, Cory! I'll try to look at each, and see what I find. I don't use the pad much, so don't really know how to get IN to the Infos on which pad, version, or even App's settings. On the desktop, it's clear.

I did find that when i typed in a new search, it does go to that page. But, I also don't know how to clear that page I was on where the Alert comes, still consistently.

Thanks .. will do!
Cowgal Peggy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Try this first: Go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data

Let us know if you have additional questions.

C

Reaction score
Cory:

So you know, that did seem to clear it! Thanks so much. When I went back to Safari, that last tab said "This account has been deleted," and has not come back, so - whew! Thanx, again. Mac rules.

Reaction score
Most of these fake virus alerts are part of a web page, so that's why clearing the history, cache, etc, gets rid of it. The scammers are hoping users don't understand the difference between a web dialog and an application dialog. They are sneaky!

Ask a Question