SOLVED Safari.app error

Reaction score
<You can’t open the application “Safari.app” because this application is not supported on this Mac.>

What can I do to restore Safari as it no longer opens as my default browser. I receive the error message as shown above.
Late 2015 27" IMAc running Monterey 12.6.3

Reaction score
<You can’t open the application “Safari.app” because this application is not supported on this Mac.>

What can I do to restore Safari as it no longer opens as my default browser. I receive the error message as shown above.
Late 2015 27" IMAc running Monterey 12.6.3
Safari could have been damaged. Since it’s part of the apps included with macOS, you will probably need to reinstall Monterey.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I have reinstalled Monterey but still Safari does not go straight to its browser page, if thats the right term. Hover over the Safari shortcut and If I right mouse click I get an option to open "untitled", which will let me open a single url and that partially opens the urls homepage but does not show all pictures nor does it mean I can overtype the url with a differant one. Hope thats made enough sense, having to use Chrome at present which I have never liked.

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I have reinstalled Monterey but still Safari does not go straight to its browser page, if thats the right term. Hover over the Safari shortcut and If I right mouse click I get an option to open "untitled", which will let me open a single url and that partially opens the urls homepage but does not show all pictures nor does it mean I can overtype the url with a differant one. Hope thats made enough sense, having to use Chrome at present which I have never liked.
You need to go to Safari > Settings… and go through the numerous Safari preferences. General lets you control what the initial window will be. You can also choose for it to open to you homepage, which you can define there. An easy way to do this is to first go to the page you want to start with (most of the time), and then open Preferences > General, and for Homepage: click on Set to Current Page and your start page/homepage is set. The numerous settings can become daunting, but you don’t have to set them all right away. Just familiarize yourself with it, and know that you can always go back to tweak settings.

Reaction score
OK all sorted.
No idea how my settings had changed but doing a reinstall does not seem to have screwed anything.
My Safari shortcut on the control bar needed to be deleted. I noticed then when Safari was not working for me the icon in the Applications folder was greyed out, after the reinstall it appeared as it should. Once I hit it we were straight in to my previous Safari setup and all is well.

Ask a Question