SOLVED Safari favorite icons gray on start page

Reaction score
Using Big Sur 11.7.3 and Safari 16.3 on a macBook Pro mid 2014. Updated both yesterday and all is well except that my Safari start page with favorite icons went from color to shades of gray boxes.. The icons still have text descriptions, so I can use them, and they work. Can I change a setting to get back their color and design? A few icons still have the first letter of their name within, most are shades of gray. Thanks!

Reaction score
Using Big Sur 11.7.3 and Safari 16.3 on a macBook Pro mid 2014. Updated both yesterday and all is well except that my Safari start page with favorite icons went from color to shades of gray boxes.. The icons still have text descriptions, so I can use them, and they work. Can I change a setting to get back their color and design? A few icons still have the first letter of their name within, most are shades of gray. Thanks!
Same problem. Cleared history and some have come back. Hope all will recover over time. Thanks.
Dan from Albuquerque now, formerly Honolulu.

Reaction score
Can’t check personally since I can’t run Big Sur, but an update came out, 11.7.4, which installs a Safari update version 16.3.1 build number (16614.4.6.11.7). It’s supposed to fix the bug with favorite icons.

Reaction score
Can’t check personally since I can’t run Big Sur, but an update came out, 11.7.4, which installs a Safari update version 16.3.1 build number (16614.4.6.11.7). It’s supposed to fix the bug with favorite icons.
Thanks - 11.7.4 restored most icons in color. Clicking and accessing the websites restored most of the rest. A few pages were old and unavailable. I'll update Safari and see if I can get the rest back with design and color. Gordon - original poster.

Reaction score
now fixed with latest safari 16.3.1 - just run sfw updater (yes im on an old iMac running 11.7.4

Ask a Question