The � character

Reaction score
When I write to a friend who uses a Windoze computer using Mail, all apostrophes are rendered � on their computer. This makes me seem stupid. What is the fix for this? I should know, but even my stable genius has it's limits.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Did you change the font in the Mail application? Sometimes that will cause font display issues on the recipient's end.

C

Reaction score
Mail (High Sierra) has no font options for composing, only viewing, and that font is Helvetica, pretty generic.

Reaction score
I think this is probably due to the settings on the recipient's computer.
I sent a test email to my wife on her windows machine, the apostrophe as O/K but there was an added equals sign after a question mark.
Maybe down to Unicode settings.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

The Message font: setting in Mail > Preferences > Fonts & Colors does actually affect new messages when composing, as well as the display of received messages. If yours is set to Helvetica, then I agree with Lufbrarunner that it may be on the recipient's end.

Does it happen to everyone that you email?

C

Reaction score
I only have a couple of Windoze correspondents, and the problem may be unique to this person. How would my correspondent correct this? My Wintel knowledge is zip.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not well-versed in Windows either, but I would guess they would need to check their font settings in the mail application they are using.

I wonder if it displays the same if they access their email via webmail?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, then I would have them check their mail application font settings. I don't have any good suggestions, as I am not very familiar with Windows.

Sorry,

C

Ask a Question