Swiching iPhone backups from cloud to Mac

Reaction score
Every once in a while, I like to back up my iPhone and iPad to iCloud. But I am puzzled.

After I do this, I go to iTunes on my iMac (all software is current), and see 36.36 GB free, and the time stamps of both of my backups.

As soon as I click on This Computer, the "Latest Backups" for iCloud disappeared (why), and memory shows 57GB free with less photos memory and no apps memory. Same kind of thing happens with my iPad.

I went to my phone, and it shows 89GB of 128 GB used.

I'd love it if Apple provided a setting to back up both places all of the time, I'm a belts and suspenders type of guy.

What is happening to my memory?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 4.12.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 4.12.23 PM.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 4.12.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 4.12.35 PM.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 308

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

As far as I know, you can only use one or the other in automatic mode, you can either backup to iCloud or a computer. If you choose a computer after using iCloud, it will delete all the stored iCloud backups.

But, I do believe you can leave the iTunes setting on Automatically Back Up > iCloud, connect the iOS device to iTunes, and choose Manually Back Up and Restore > Back Up Now. That should keep both backups.

Let me know if that works for you.

C

Reaction score
That's not good. The better back-up is on my Mac, and that's the one I want done every day. But I want an emergency one on iCloud.

Ask a Question