Stuck clearing a broken MacBook for Sale (any help appreciated)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro with a broken screen that I'd like to sell on eBay.

The issue is I can't get the laptop into reboot mode by holding command + R as it boots up to wipe it clean. I have to use an external screen and when I put the laptop into clam mode (external mouse, keyboard and screen plugged in), it just takes me to the password screen to log in and keeps bypassing the fact that I'm holding command + R.

I have taken everything off the laptop, all my files, pictures, music etc, and also I have logged out of every bit of software and uninstalled.

I'm looking for opinions on whether it would be safe to sell in its current state, where I have deleted everything of mine possible off it, but I have not put it back to its factory settings.

I'd also like to know if there is a way I can put it back to factory settings, while also taking into account that the screen is broken so the command + R approach is not working.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Reaction score
Hve you tried with the external display connected, but not in clamshell mode?

Also which macBook Pro is do you have?

Reaction score
Hve you tried with the external display connected, but not in clamshell mode?

Also which macBook Pro is do you have?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. It's a MacBook Pro Mid 2014, currently running Big Sur.

I have tried with an external display but it's not recognising the external display when im putting it into utilities mode to go ahead with the reboot.

Any other thoughts is really appreciated.

Ask a Question