SOLVED Firefox windows stuck on 'Command Centre' page

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm using a 2009 iMac (OS Sierra) and I thought I knew most of its tricks by now, but something has happened which I haven't experienced before. I have several desktops (a feature I find very useful), and then 'Desktop Zero' (so to speak) is...I think it's called "Command Centre" or "Dashboard" - not sure which - where various widgets are stored, which I virtually never use. Anyway, recently Firefox crashed on me (it might have been when a friend was using the computer - he has his own user, but I left it to him to close mine and open his, and he may have done something untoward). When I re-started Firefox, only one window appeared, with about a dozen open tabs, whereas there had previously been three such windows. I went to the Toolbar and selected History->Recently Closed Windows->Reopen All Windows. What happened was that the closed windows reopened in "Command Centre", where I can access them, but cannot move, minimise or re-size them. Also, the first time I click on one of these windows, I am taken out of Command Centre and back to an empty Desktop 1. I then have to swipe back to the Command Centre window, and then I can access the Firefox windows. There is no toolbar in the Command Centre window, and it is a bit like these windows have a 'ghostly' presence - there but not really there, so to speak.

Does anybody know how I can move these windows back to one of my 'normal' desktops?

Hoping someone can help!

James

Reaction score
Update: I found that by closing those windows, quitting Firefox, re-starting it and then reopening the windows, they appeared as normal. It doesn't solve the mystery of why this happened in the first place, but it seems to have been a one-off glitch - just as well, considering it seems nobody recognises it!

Ask a Question