Firefox will not revert back to open in new tabs, but continues to open in new windows

Reaction score
Hi, I know that this is a little off subject but I'm desperate. I have an Imac with Firefox as my browser. I updated it and now instead of switching to a new tab it opens into a new page. I've tried going on the net to see how I can switch back to tab only and tried all their recommendations without success. In preferences I checked "open links in a new tab instead of new windows" to no avail. I am desperate and at the end of my rope. Can anyone help me? Mahalo from the Big Island of Hawaii.

Reaction score
Hi, I know that this is a little off subject but I'm desperate. I have an Imac with Firefox as my browser. I updated it and now instead of switching to a new tab it opens into a new page. I've tried going on the net to see how I can switch back to tab only and tried all their recommendations without success. In preferences I checked "open links in a new tab instead of new windows" to no avail. I am desperate and at the end of my rope. Can anyone help me? Mahalo from the Big Island of Hawaii.
Assuming that you have the latest version of Firefox, 108.0 (64-bit), and that you have already toggled “Open links in tabs instead of new windows” back and forth, the problem could be from corrupted setting file(s). You may have to resort to purging Firefox with an application cleaner like AppCleaner.app, e.g., and installing a fresh copy. Make sure to note all of your settings that were not default, and to export your bookmarks beforehand, for later retrieval. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and install a new copy. What I didn't quite get Is where would I export my book marks to with Firefox being purged?

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and install a new copy. What I didn't quite get Is where would I export my book marks to with Firefox being purged?
You can export the bookmarks as an HTML file onto the Desktop, or any other location of your choice.

Go to the Firefox menu: Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks. It will open the Library window. Select the pulldown with the down-up arrows and select Export Bookmarks to HTML… and navigate to your preferred location.

Purge Firefox with AppCleaner (or equivalent app) and install a fresh copy. You can then import them back after your first launch of Firefox.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dang! I did what you recommended but it's still going to a new window instead of a tab even though I checked the tab box. It is such an inconvenience.

Ask a Question