Strongest Mac Configuration for Heavy Use

Reaction score
I need to run multiple applications that require a lot of memory. What configuration would give me the best performance? Mac Mini with maximum RAM using multiple displays,, a desk top Mac switching between displays, a MacBook Pro switching between displays, or some other approach? I need to have large screens to be able to see the data, and I need fast response times. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It depends on your budget, if you have a display currently, and what applications you are running. More RAM is good for running multiple applications simultaneously, and discrete graphics cards are better for multiple graphics-intensive applications.

Give us a little more info, and we'll see if we can help narrow it down.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'm running stock and options trading with two different trading programs. At the moment I have one running on a MacBook Air (2014) and the other running on a MacBook Pro (2017). As you might imagine, speed matters, especially when bidding on options. Neither of my macs is really fast enough for the one program it's running, so running both on one would be way too much. In addition, both displays 13", and are far too small for the data I need to see and interpret. I squint a lot.

I've considered going to a Mac Mini with two display screens. But if I can't get enough RAM into a Mini to really make a difference there's no point to that. The displays won't need to run "gamer" graphics, but I do want them to be responsive.

Many thanks for any thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate it!

Reaction score
Not exactly sure about using 2 monitors (should be OK), but you could go with this late 2018 Mac Mini:

I have a more "toned down" version of that series:

I have a "similar need for speed", but nowhere near as critical as you need.

It looks like you can upgrade the Ram yourself to 64 gig:

Also, you can configure it with a larger SSD (I have 8 gig of Ram and a 256 gig SSD, and that easily satisfies my needs).

Finally, except for the new M1-based Mac Mini, that is the latest Intel-based one. It can run Big Sur (as can mine), although I am waiting for Big Sur to become more stable, and also have 4 critical programs that are not yet compatible with Big Sur. I am running the latets version of Catalina, OS 10.15.7, and it is a solid, mature Mac OS.

Now, you did not say what Mac OS you are currently running, but if it's anything before Catalina (OS 10.15.x), you could be using some 32-bit software. Such software will not run on a Mac that has either Catalina or Big Sur. You would have to find either a newer, 64-bit version of each such program, or find a substitute, 64-bit one from another company.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not exactly sure about using 2 monitors (should be OK), but you could go with this late 2018 Mac Mini:

I have a more "toned down" version of that series:

I have a "similar need for speed", but nowhere near as critical as you need.

It looks like you can upgrade the Ram yourself to 64 gig:

Also, you can configure it with a larger SSD (I have 8 gig of Ram and a 256 gig SSD, and that easily satisfies my needs).

Finally, except for the new M1-based Mac Mini, that is the latest Intel-based one. It can run Big Sur (as can mine), although I am waiting for Big Sur to become more stable, and also have 4 critical programs that are not yet compatible with Big Sur. I am running the latets version of Catalina, OS 10.15.7, and it is a solid, mature Mac OS.

Now, you did not say what Mac OS you are currently running, but if it's anything before Catalina (OS 10.15.x), you could be using some 32-bit software. Such software will not run on a Mac that has either Catalina or Big Sur. You would have to find either a newer, 64-bit version of each such program, or find a substitute, 64-bit one from another company.

Thank you very much for your input. You're clearly well versed in using the Mac Mini. This would be my first mini, but I'm a dedicated Mac user, and really believe in the platform.

Regarding the OS, I'm using Big Sur on both my machines. The two programs are 64-bit.

One question that occurs to me is about going to the 2018 mini with the i7 intel core processor as opposed to the new mini with the M1. Do you have any questions about the dependability of the new processor, or is it a matter of reducing costs? Or are there other reasons to be considered?

Regarding other hardware needs beyond a loaded up mini, I already own a mac keyboard and number keypad. I assume the mini will have Bluetooth capabilities.

I'm going to look through the websites you've included, and I expect I'll have more questions. If you have more suggestions, or if others following this thread have additional input, I'll be very grateful to hear more.

Many thanks again for the input!

Reaction score
You're most welcome. A little bit of history.

I actually previously had a late 2012 Mac Mini, with a 256 gig SSD and 8 gig of Ram. I had it for over 6 years, and it performed very, very well. In fact, it had a Core i7 processor (my current late 2018 model has a Core i5 processor, but have seen no decrease in performance). However, back in January, after finally moving to Catalina (will explain why below), I knew that Catalina would be the last Mac OS I'd be able to run on it. So, besides 3 nice "financial" reasons, I purchased the late 2018 Model I mentioned above in early February (and within a couple of weeks, sold the late 2012 model for a decent amount).

Besides only having my late 2018 Mini for 10 months, the biggest issue for me right now regarding the M1 model is the lack of compatibility with almost all of my third party software with the M1 architecture (and of course a similar issue with Big Sur). I never move immediately to a new version of the Mac OS, as 1) it is typical with just about every new version of the Mac OS that it has bugs/issues for at least the first 2 or 3 versions, 2) the lack of compatibility for my third party software (I use third party software exclusively on both of my Macs), and 3) there is nothing "earth shattering" that I must have with Big Sur. Catalina works flawlessly, is reliable, and stable (and of course all my third party software is compatible with it).

I have 6 critical programs that must be compatible with the new Mac OS before I make the move. For now, two of them are, but there are 4 more. One of them is so, so important: SuperDuper!, which I rely on for my backups. Fortunately, 2 of the remaining ones (Thunderbird and Onyx) are real close to having versions for Big Sur compatibility. When they are released, I will download the latest Intel-based version of Big Sur (remember, there are 2 versions of Big Sur: one for Intel-based Macs, like I have, and the other one for M1-based models). That will be V11.1, which is due to be released soon. I will install it on a partition on an external SSD I have, migrate all my files, folders, settings, apps, etc. from a SuperDuper! backup, and then start to test.

Besides SuperDuper!, the last remaining app is Tech Tool Pro. That one is always last, and it is for that reason why I made the statement above about finally moving to Catalina in January, as that is when a update to Tech Tool Pro for Catalina compatibility was released. I suspect the same will be true for Big Sur, and I will (most likely) make the permanent move to Big Sur in January or February. That also means there is a good possibility another version of Big Sur, V11.2 (or maybe V11.3?) will be out by then, addressing some more bugs/issues. Of course that assumes a version of SuperDuper! has already been released. History has shown that to be the case.

OK, sorry for the detailed response, but for a definitive answer to your questions, it is best for me to provide as many details as possible.

I forgot to mention one other "biggie" with the M1 Mini: it has a maximum RAM amount of 16 gig, and cannot be upgraded any further! Yeah, a real shortcoming, especially for an individual like you. I am on another Mac forum, and have seen reviews of some M1 Mac Minis. One common complaint, though, for folks there (not mentioned in the reviews) was the 16 gig RAM limit. So when I read your needs, that is why I recommended the late 2018 model. Again, it is almost as "new" as the M1 model, can support Big Sur (and most likely at lest 4 or 5 more future versions of the Mac OS), and of course the RAM can be upgraded.

OK, my post is long enough (but I don't mind)! If you need anything else, please let me know.

Ask a Question