Using Mac Mini through a Mac Pro

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a new Mac Mini, so I can have the latest OS for the latest design software on my computer. I currently work on a Mac Pro, running Mac OS 10.11, with two Cinema displays attached to it.

My question is, can I connect the Mac Mini to this setup (as the startup disk) and use the displays connected to the Mac Pro. I want to have access to the hard drives on the Mac Pro through the Mac Mini.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

This scenario wouldn't work, as macOS would still be "running" on the Mac Pro hardware, since the mini would just be seen as an external drive. The Mac Pro wouldn't startup from the mini's drive in Target Disk Mode if it has a version of macOS that isn't supported by the Mac Pro hardware. You would need to connect the displays to the mini directly, which would eliminate the Mac Pro altogether.

You might be able to use the Mac mini as the main computer, with the displays connected to it. You could then connect the Mac Pro in Target Disk Mode to access files, but not run software. Or, you could run the Mac Pro headless with File Sharing on, and be able to access files on the Mac Pro drives.

Does that help?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. The idea of running the Mac pro headless with file-sharing is good. I hadn't thought of that.

Ask a Question