Strange Terminal Error

Reaction score
Obligatory OS X Version: 10.4.10 on MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz

I use the Terminal now and then to get things done, but recently I have had a problem. I was playing around writing a C++ program with Xcode, and did the normal Build/Run procedure. Later, since i was just toying with it, I deleted the file that Xcode made with my program in it. Now whenever I start a Terminal window, instead of the greeting and a useful prompt I get:

Last login: Tue Aug 14 15:17:14 on ttyp1
/Users/**me**/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
my-computer:~ **me**$ /Users/**me**/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram; exit
-bash: /Users/**me**/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram: No such file or directory
logout
[Process completed]

And the window is completely useless. It seems to be trying to enter the old path from my Xcode build as the user during it's normal auto login procedure. I can get a regular login by changing, under Terminal Preferences, the default start as to /usr/bin/login. This is what it's supposed to be with the normal option, but here I get different results:

login: /Users/**me**/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram; exit
Password:
Login incorrect
login: **me**
Password:
Last login: Tue Aug 14 15:21:14 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
my-computer:~ **me**$

It still seems to fill in a path for my login name. Then I can enter my real username and password and get a normal Terminal (at ttyp2 for some reason). Anybody know how to get my old working Terminal back? Thanks for any suggestions.

I happened upon the solution while looking at this page http://xanana.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/wiki/index.php/Unix_and_OS_X:_The_Absolute_Essentials
I only had to delete the preferences file in my user library. Duh!

Reaction score
Good catch. I didn't catch this one right away either. For some reason the answer popped up when I was driving home from work. For those of you following this post, the preference file that we are referring to is the "com.apple.Terminal.plist" and it's located in your home/Library/Preferences.;)

Ask a Question