Strange sound problem

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro running Catalina. I have a Zoom meditation group. The problem is strange........

When I talk, the members of our group on Zoom hear me just fine. When I try to start the meeting with a brass Tibetan bowl and strike it, they hear nothing! I've also tried a small chime- they don't hear it either. Again- they hear my voice clearly.
I'm just using the internal mics in the computer.
Anybody have an idea to help me? The problem is so weird!

thanks, Frank

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, that is strange. I haven't used Zoom much myself, but maybe there is some form of audio setting that affects background noise? Are you using Zoom in a browser or with the standalone application?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me Cory.

I'm using Zoom in Chrome. I've thought that maybe Zoom has some sort of gate for sound (I'm familiar with audio processing as I'm a musician). I can find nothing in Zoom to that effect. I have no idea what's causing the problem!

Thanks anyway for your input.

'

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Maybe try it in Safari or the standalone application?

It is a strange issue - do any other sounds get blocked, like handclaps, background music/TV, etc.?

C

Reaction score
I'll try Safari. Good idea! Yes- I have tried a wood block....... it doesn't sound at all for the participants.

Thanks again for your time and input Cory.

Frank

Reaction score
Interestingly my sangha has exactly the same problem. Cannot hear the bell or bowl or anything signifying the start to meditation or the end of the meditation period. We have tried many different things, nothing works. I will pass this info on to my sangha as it has been a frustrating issue.

Reaction score
Thanks- seems like I'm not alone in this problem. I've tried Cory's possible solutions to no avail. Perhaps you can try to contact support at zoom and call to talk with an actual person about this. I would do it, but I have a speech problem. Keep me posted about all this and I'll do the same.

Shanti

Reaction score
One thing I do know Frank is that it has nothing to do with Mac. Our Sangha leader uses a PC. I will try to connect with Zoom and ask them though.

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'll try it. Also, let me know if your host is able to rectify the problem for your Sangha.

peace

Ask a Question