strange noise

Reaction score
my macbook pro keeps making a noise like something being dropped in water, its a notification noise but i dont know what for? it happenns most often when im watching youtube videos, dvds and movies but it happens even when im not doing any of those things.

Reaction score
I'm guessing you have your default notification sound in System Preferences ->Sound set to submarine, or tink or something similar, which is being triggered when an app is trying to notify you of something.

If you are running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - check System Preferences -> Notifications -> and check each item for sounds. That will tell you if there is a 'sound' played at each time something in the app happens.

Also, Just a suggestion, but do you leave Mail.app open? Perhaps it's telling you that you have a new email?

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but do you leave Mail.app open? Perhaps it's telling you that you have a new email?

Also, if you have 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - you might be getting Notifications from apps. Be sure to check System Proferences -> Sound -> Sound Effects -- I am guessing that you have your default notification sound set to Submarine or Tink.

You can see what apps will notify you in the System Proferences -> Notifications.

Reaction score
It's iMessage! I just heard it make the water droplet noise, and then I realize I got a text message.
iMessage, in os X 10.8, now runs all the time in the background.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes you will find these sounds on your MBP >Messages> Preferences> Alerts. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 09.58.14.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 09.58.14.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 277

Ask a Question