Strange Home WiFi Problems

Reaction score
I hope this problem has not already been addressed, but I did search tirelessly for an answer before I decided to send up the Bat-symbol as a cry of help and desperation.

Here we go...At my house we have two iPads (one of each generation), 3 iPhones, one laptop PC, and my MacBook Pro 13" running Lion. Every single one of these devices works flawlessly with our WiFi with the exception of my MacBook's Internet browsers.

THE PROBLEM - In order to browse Web pages, I constantly have to turn off then turn on my Mac's WiFi to get from one page to the next. Here is a typical browsing experience: my home page, apple.com/startpage, loads just fine with zero problems. When I type in a different address and press enter, the new page will not load. Safari (or Firefox or Chrome or Opera or...) just spins and spins until eventually I am left with an error message that says "Safari can't open the page because www.google.com because the server where the page is located isn't responding. However, when I turn off my MacBook's WiFi and then turn it back on, usually the new page loads just fine.

This only happens at my house. Other people's WiFi connections work just fine with my computer (my office, hotels, friends, etc).

I've used different DNS addresses, but it does no good.

I can download large files very quickly regularly reaching speeds over 1 mb/sec when downloading from various sources. Connecting directly to the modem via Ethernet makes the problem go away, but staying connected to a hard line just won't work.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks,

JOE

Reaction score
Start by deleting all the entries in your known Networks List.
System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi (AirPort) > Advanced > Wi-Fi> Preferred Networks. unlock and minus them all out.

Also using Utilities > KeyChain Utility locate all the Wireless Entires and Network Entires, you'll have to sort through these, Double Click to Open them Click on the Show password and note the password BEFORE you delete them.

Then do a restart, log back into your network and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman. So far this seems to work, but then again this only happens 90% of the time I surf the Web.

I'll post back after work.

So why would deleting all of my Prefered Networks and their passwords help?

I like having them remembered for different reasons.

JOE

Reaction score
If one of them could be corrupted and crashing your Wi-Fi Driver.

Don't worry as you log onto those networks, and enter the passwords it will remember them again.

Reaction score
The problem persists. I did all of the erasing of the other wifi networks and passwords from system preferences and keychain however, I still have the same problem. I constantly have to turn off and back on my Macbook's wifi.

Reaction score
k, in System Preferences > Network there is a Popup Menu call Location.
At the bottom of that menu in a Edit Locations...
Click + to make a new Location, give it a name thats different from whats there.
Switch to that Location and Click, Apply down the bottom of the panel.

See how that goes...

Ask a Question