Startup Problem

Reaction score
I have restarted my iMac and the computer is stuck on a window that says starting Mac OS X.

I have OS X Tiger installed, is there something I can do to reset this?

BH

Reaction score
Re: Sart up Problem

Hello Bhugo and Welcome!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried turning the computer off and turn it back on again after 10 seconds? If you have done that already (which you probably have), then try this:

As soon as you press the power button on your computer, hold down the following keys: Apple, Option, P, R

You should hear the first chime sound. Continue to hold down those keys until you hear the Chime sound again. As soon as you hear that second chime, release all of those keys. Let us know if this helps you out at all.

Cheers from the FREEEEEZZZZZING state of Michigan
Searay

Reaction score
Re: Sart up Problem

If it's stuck on the gray screen with the progress bar and spinning sprocket at the bottom, it's running a file system check... If Searay's suggestion of zapping the PRAM (Apple, Option, P, R) doesn't get it going again, try rebooting in verbose mode (Apple, V). This will make your computer show you in words what it's doing, and most importantly, if you keep getting a repeating line or set of lines, you'll see what/where the problem is. Most of the information verbose mode shows probably won't make much sense, the important thing is to watch for a repeating line or set of lines where it's stuck doing something, and if it does, write down whatever's being repeated and let us know.

Ask a Question