macbook startup problem

Reaction score
(sorry for my english has it is not my native language)

im having this problem where my macbook wont boot any further than the grey apple logo. i know there are lots of threads on similar issues but i found that none were exactly as my problem.
after a week of testing and searching forums i feel like i got a full picture o the situation.
if it has been thoroughly discussed in pasts threads feel free to link them!

ok so here is the situation:

i was having problem with airport and safari was frozen. the application quit by itself and i ignored the error report and re-opened safari to find that all my preference (top site, bookmarks) were gone. as i was getting everything back to normal my mac lagged and froze again, this time a forced shut down was the only option. since then it wont restart.

on startup my status indicator light in the front goes on but turn off when i hear the startup tone and it turns back on when i close the screen of my macbook. the HDD doesnt seems to be running, nor anything else beside the fan which goes on full speed everytime.

i already tried the following:

-P-RAM and V-Ram reset: cmd+alt+P+R i did this a single time or three or even four time in a row as prescribed on some forums)

-cmd+alt+O+F: doesnt boot in open firmware, doesnt do anything at all

-SMC reset (with removing battery and pushing power for 5 seconds thing): doesnt do anything.

-cmd+S: opens the command prompt but i cant type in anything (i was trying to run fsck)
after a while it gives me an error message in loading the mach_kernel and eventually restart.

-safe boot: cant get past that spinning wheel, and i waited like 3 hours but nothing comes up.. interisting fact: i need to hold the power button for 10 second to shut down the macbook, in opposition to instantly while on grey screen

-finally i ran the Apple Hardware Test (extended) and it came up with the dreaded 4HDD/11/4000004 error message that seems to indicate a hard drive failure. however when i boot while holding Alt the macbook recognise my HDD as it is a suggested volume for boot-up. doesnt this hint that my HDD isnt THAT damaged?

i unforntunately dont have access to my OS dvd at the moment but i will try booting from it to run disk utilities later this week. however i dont have high hopes since i cant even run fsck from single user mode.

Now my question is:
any of you guys that succeeded in resolving a similar issue without loosing your data? because the more deeper i dig the more it seems i will need a new HDD...

and is there a way to backup my data as of now? i backed-up a while ago so the essential (like itunes library) is safe but there are documents i was working on that were not backed-up... anyway of accessing them (i heard you can plug two macbook together maybe?)

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

specs:
Macbook 5,2 (white plastic, late 2009)
intel core 2 duo 2.13 Ghz
L2 cpu cache: 3 mb
nvidia geforce 9400m
2x 2Gb (@ 800Mhz) for 4gb of RAM

Ask a Question