Macbook Startup Issues..

Reaction score
Upon startup, my Macbok immediately goes to "OS X UTILITIES" and gives four options:

1) Restore from time machine backup

2) Reinstall OS X

3) Get help online

4) Disk Utility

It was working totally normal until one morning I booted it up, and it did this. I've tried restarting it in safe mode, but it won't work. A cancel icon flashes up in the middle of the screen. I also tried running an AHT which resulted in "No trouble found".

Help?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model MacBook?
-Which version of Mac OS X?
-Have you tried holding the Option key when booting? That should give you two choices - Macintosh HD and Recovery - depending on which version of OS X you are running.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

Thanks for the reply. It's my girlfriend's computer, and since I can't get to 'about this mac' I'm a little unsure about what OS X version she's running, and the exact model. Just by the look of it, it's a recent 13'' Macbook Pro. Within 2 years anyway. I will go ahead and guess she is running OS X Mavericks, but again, I'm not certain. I know these are vital details, and I feel silly asking for tech help without knowing them.

Is there a way that I can get this information? I wish I could just get it to safe mode.. but I'm stuck in recovery mode..

Reaction score
I should add that I've tried to reinstall a new copy of OS X from recovery mode, but after agreeing to the licensing agreement, it says "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later"

Ask a Question