Start up problem on PowerMac G4 OS X

Reaction score
Hi, first off:

PowerMac G4
1G Ram
OS X 10.3.9 (I think - it's definitely Tiger anyway)

I turned the thing on on Monday and it asked me to download a security update - which I did - and then it asked me to restart - which I did.

Thing is it didn't restart, it shut down and instead of rebooting I get a grey screen with the Apple logo.

I asked around and was told to zap the PRAM after which it booted up... but only to the OS 9.2 partition that I have on the HDD.
Also, when running in 9.2 I can see and open all the files on the OS X partition.

I've tried cycling the memory sticks with no joy.

A final twist is that I don't have the install disks - The machine was given to me by a friend who moved to Bermuda and didn't want to lug this behemoth with him.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi, first off:

PowerMac G4
1G Ram
OS X 10.3.9 (I think - it's definitely Tiger anyway)

I turned the thing on on Monday and it asked me to download a security update - which I did - and then it asked me to restart - which I did.

Thing is it didn't restart, it shut down and instead of rebooting I get a grey screen with the Apple logo.

I asked around and was told to zap the PRAM after which it booted up... but only to the OS 9.2 partition that I have on the HDD.
Also, when running in 9.2 I can see and open all the files on the OS X partition.

I've tried cycling the memory sticks with no joy.

A final twist is that I don't have the install disks - The machine was given to me by a friend who moved to Bermuda and didn't want to lug this behemoth with him.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Have you tried Single User Mode? See link.
https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6749

Ask a Question