Speaker indicator on MacBook Pro 17 2010

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a lack of speaker volume when it's obvious when the computer starts up? It dongs on startup but after the OS loads, and it the speaker indication shows up, but it doesn't appear to be active. I have reinstalled the OS but no change. I find it hard to believe that the logic board is dying when I'm getting the startup dong. Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Have you checked the settings in  > System Preferences... > Sound > Output?
-Have you tried the SMC and NVRAM resets?

C

Reaction score
I was at the time of my posting running OsX High Sierra. I update to OsX Mojave. I looked just now at the sound setting and show nothing for sound output. How do I do a SMC or NVRAM reset?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

If you click the words SMC and NVRAM in my previous post, they are links to the directions on Apple's website.

C

Reaction score
I found an article via Bing as to how to do both, and did. I was able to get the speakers to show up but at the cost of an SSD that I had set up with OsX Mojave and Windows 10. After doing both I attempted to reboot into OsX and was greeted with a Circle with a slash line thru it. Windows 10 booted okay, but no help with MacOs. I put in a hard drive that I knew had a working MacOs on it and it booted up just fine. Win a few lose a few.

Ask a Question