Sierra, OS 10.12.1, Success!

Reaction score
Well, I just completed the "upgrade" on my MacBook Air to Sierra, OS 10.12.1. Everything went according to plan, although there were a couple of "surprises" along the way. But, everything is fine.

It did take me about 3 hours to complete everything, and even with having the SSD inside my machine, and an SSD in an external enclosure that I upgraded from. I already had upgraded most of my software (the ones that needed it) for Sierra compatibility, but there were two that were specifically for Sierra compatibility which I installed at the end (mentioned below). Here is what I did:

1. Ran Onyx (as usual).
2. Ran TechTool Pro (as usual).
3. Ran SuperDuper!, creating two backups on my 2 external devices (again, as usual).
4. Re-booted my machine from the SuperDuper! backup that was on the external SSD.
5. Ran Disk Utility to Erase and Format the internal SSD on the MacBook Air.
6. Launched the file "Install macOS Sierra", and did a clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12 onto my machine.
7. Offered the opportunity to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from my SuperDuper! backup, and said yes (of course!). This is where a "surprise" happened. Apparently I had previously installed a later version of iTunes than what was installed by Sierra. So, I was offered the opportunity to upgrade the version of iTunes that was installed by Sierra, and again I said yes. My iTunes library was then migrated.
8. Re-booted my MacBook Air. This did initially take some time, but eventually got to the desktop.
9. Installed the OS 10.12.1 update (took about 10 minutes, even though the update file was not very large).
10. Installed the Sierra-compatible versions of Onyx, and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mouse.
11. Ran 1Password to add it to Google Chrome (as usual).
12. Finally, ran TechTool Pro to create the new, Sierra-compatible eDrive.

So, I am a happy camper! Tomorrow, I'll do it for my Mac Mini. They key to all this, of course, is that I was prepared, and had a detailed plan laid out as to what steps I would take.

Reaction score
Thanks, oldscribe. I appreciate it. So far, so good, with the MacBook Air. All my apps are running fine. And, I am not seeing any decrease in performance.

Reaction score
Just an update. Just finished upgrading my Mac MIni, via the same steps above, and everything went as planned. I guess one thing I could have done to save some time was that after I installed Sierra (OS 10.12), in step 6 above, I could have then ran the update for iTunes V12.5.3 (which I had previously downloaded), and applied it to the just-completed OS 10.12 installation. Then, when I selected Migration Assistant, I would not have received that "alert" about needing to upgrade iTunes first.

Oh well, live and learn!

One other thing I should mention is that for the time of 3 hours, that includes my normal weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs (using Onyx and TechTool Pro), and making two SuperDuper! backups to two different external devices. That normal "stuff" typically takes about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. If I had just done the upgrade "in place", ie, update directly from OS 10.11.6 to OS 10.12, then apply the OS 10.12.1 updater, then install the Sierra-compatible versions of Onyx and the Logitech Control Center, and finally using TechTool Pro to re-create a Sierra-compatible eDrive, all of that would have probably taken about an hour or so.

Last edited:

Ask a Question