Successful Installation of High Sierra, OS 10.13.2!

Reaction score
Well, I decided to "bite the bullet", so to speak, and "upgrade" to the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.2. What led me to do that is the recently released upgrade for Tech Tool Pro that is compatible with High Sierra. I did encounter a couple of "surprises" along the way, but nothing I could not overcome. Here are the details.

First, before I started, there were a couple of more upgrades for software I use: V3.1.1 of SuperDuper! was released yesterday, and V15.41 of Office 2016 was released earlier today. So, I needed to "incorporate" them also as part of the process.

Secondly, yesterday I downloaded the full High Sierra, OS 10.13.2, installation file from the App Store for both of my Macs, and of course made a copy of the installation in another location, and also on my SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs that I had completed the other day.

Next, I started the process by booting each of my Macs to their respective SuperDuper! backups. I then used Disk Utility there to Erase and Format each of the internal SSDs. Once that completed, I navigated to the "Install macOS High Sierra" file I had downloaded/copied yesterday, launched it, and proceeded to do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of OS 10.13.2 onto each of my Macs. Once that completed, I was offered the opportunity (as expected), via Migration Assistant, to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from my backup. As the process started, two "surprises" happened:

1. When it started to migrate my "Account" settings, it asked for a password that I wanted to use for my one (and only) Account. I just entered the one I had been using, and it worked fine. That never happened before when I preformed prior "migrations".

2. I was also asked, prior to "migrating" applications, about iTunes, Apparently, the most recent version of iTunes, V12.7.2, is not contained within the OS 10.13.2 file. I declined to have it update at that time (I had previously downloaded it, and installed it within my OS 10.12.6 system, but I might have done that after my SuperDuper! backup this past Saturday).

When the migration process completed, each of my Macs restarted from OS 10.13.2 on each internal SSD. Here, though, was a continuation of the surprise #2 above: when I tried to launch iTunes, it would not let me, but instead offered me to have the V12.7.2 update downloaded and installed. I declined, as I already had that updated file saved.

The things I needed to do after the installation (mostly application specific) were:

1. Launch 1Password and have its extension added to Google Chrome.

2. Install V3.1.1 of SuperDuper!.

3. Remove the Sierra version of Onyx, and installed V3.4 of Onyx (the High Sierra version).

4. Launch Tech Tool Pro, and create its eDrive on both of my Macs.

5. Install V12.7.2 of iTunes.

6. Download and install the newest versions (V15.41) of Outlook 2016, Word 2016, Excel 2016, OneNote 2016, and Autoupdate.

Everything (so far!) is working fine. As expected, both of my internal SSDs were formatted as APFS via High Sierra, but by external SSDs are still formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I will leave each of the 3 partitions on each external SSD like that (for now).

One disappointment, though: the Permissions task (actually Permissions Repair) is no longer part of Onyx (this happened with an earlier Sierra version of it, but then it was re-added with a later Sierra one). I did find another way to Repair Permissions, though, but not as "convenient" as with Onyx. Maybe if enough folks complain, Titanium Software (they make Onyx) will add it back in the High Sierra version.

I am going to see how things progress, and I will try and provide updates. But so far, things are working fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestone: Your informed and thoughtful continuing commentary is a valuable resource for the community of Mac users and, at least by me, deeply appreciated. My approach to OS software in general has always been to stay current but not in the vanguard. I will wait a while before launching my first 'upgrade' and will very much appreciate any further reports of your experience with High Sierra in the meantime.

Reaction score
Honestone:

Anticipating my eventual upgrade from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra, I’m pondering the choice between two methods I’ll call Honestone and Kilroy. (By the way, I’ve survived lots of OS installs and upgrades on lots of platforms but all three of my Macs came with Sierra installed so this will be my first major Apple upgrade in modern times.)

The Honestone method is my understanding of your recommended approach and summarized as follows:
Prepare a bootable external image of the system residence and boot from it.
From the external image, erase and format the system residence; perform a virgin install of the new OS and use Apple’s migration tools to restore applications and data.
Boot from the new system residence.

The Kilroy method is my take on Apple’s recommended approach for the unwashed masses and summarized as follows:
Prepare a bootable external image of the system residence and hide it under the mattress.
Run Apple’s ‘upgrade in place’ from the app store and hope for the best.
(If the ‘best’ does NOT obtain, retrieve the external image from under the mattress, boot from it and restore the compromised system residence to its former glory.)

It seems to me that the Honestone method is more secure but more work while the Kilroy method is at once riskier and easier.

Could you briefly share your most compelling arguments in favor of or against either method?

Thanks RW

Reaction score
As one of the 'Unwashed masses':cool:, I would say whichever method you prefer, preparation and planning are key.
Backup, and make copies of any data that value, check if you will need any updates to third party software and device drivers etc..
I think most of the reports of machines crashing and hardware not working could have been avoided with a systematic approach to the task.
Remember the 6 P's. Preparation & Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

Reaction score
Yes, as Lutbrarunner states, whatever is your preference.

For the "Kilroy" method, you do not need to have a bootable backup. It can be a backup made with Time Machine. However, the "Kilroy" method will be more time consuming, as you will be depending on the internet (and your ISP) for the update of the OS. The "Honestone" method does not depend at all on the internet, it is all done locally, and one has much more control over the process.

For the "Kilroy" method, one does not actually need to download (and copy) the installation file from the App store. But it would be wise to do that anyway, as numerous folks who come here for assistance do not have the actual installation file somewhere, and it has caused headaches/issues. This is especially true for Sierra. IN fact, I STILL don't see Sierra as one of my "Purchased"items, even though I downloaded and installed High Sierra. Maybe the "Kilroy" method would have made it appear. Not an issue for me, though, as I have copies of the last Sierra Installation file, OS 10.12.6.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lufbrarunner and Honestone:

Thank you both for your comments and you’re absolutely right about planning.

Early in my career I developed a habit of always preparing an actual written script for every project. The discipline imposed by preparing the script resulted in better planning. And critically, when (not if) something went wrong, my full attention could be focused on solving the problem knowing that I could return to the script with a minimum of confusion.

For this upgrade I’m leaning toward the Honestone method. The greater control and local execution are both appealing to me. And I still have that external bootable image in the event of a catastrophic failure. No doubt there will be less apprehension going forward after I’ve finished this first Mac upgrade.

Thanks again RW

Reaction score
bladerunner714,

Thank you for your kind comments. They are much appreciated!

As I suspect you know, for the bootable backup, you need to use either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Both of them have recently been updated. Shirt Pocket Software released V3.1.1 of SuperDuper! a couple of days ago, and yesterday, Bombich Software released V5.0.5 of Carbon Copy Cloner. They are available from here:

SuperDuper! - https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Carbon Copy Cloner - https://bombich.com/

Just in case you need to know, the two differences between them are:

1. Cost - SuperDuper! is $27.95, and Carbon Copy Cloner is $39.99.

2. Carbon Copy Cloner also backs up the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, whereas SuperDuper! does not. But, that is not a detriment, as 1) on a clean, fresh installation of the Mac OS, that partition gets created, and 2) there are other ways to create it.

Don't forget to first download the latest High Sierra Installation file from the App Store, and then immediately make a copy of it. Also, as Lufbrarunner so correctly stated, make sure to check all your third party apps for High Sierra compatibility.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Honestone. I've been using Carbon Copy Cloner based on your previous recommendation since I first converted from Windows back home to Mac about a year ago. I've tested booting from my external backups OK but this will be my first time wiping the system residence on a Mac. It always helps to remember I've never got myself in a jam I couldn't get out of. A big part of Apple's appeal is intuitive, ease of use but it does promote complacency. I'll wait a while anyway. Thanks again

Reaction score
Sounds good! Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent product. If I really needed that Recovery HD partition (and if there were not other ways to create it), I would use CCC, but SuperDuper! suits my needs just fine.

Also, you'll see a "report" below of my initial impressions with High Sierra, and that maybe your decision to wait could be a wise one.

Reaction score
OK, I'd like to give some initial impressions of High Sierra.

First, it seems somewhat "slower" that Sierra, especially in starting up. Maybe the "boot cache" file will become more and more populated, and thus the process will be faster. But, even though I have SSDs and they have been formatted as APFS (via the installation of High Sierra), definitely somewhat slower than Sierra. About the only two "processes" that occur on start up are ones for 1Password and Tech Tool Pro. Given that those are two critical programs for me, I don't want to interrupt them. Also, shut down is taking "somewhat" longer.

Additionally, for each of my internal SSDs, I am using less than half the space. So, the OS (and applications) have plenty of room to "breathe".

Secondly, I am really not seeing much (if any) speed increase with Outlook 2016, Word 2016, and/or Excel 2016 (those are the only Office 2016 modules I use, and that includes after updating to the new version, V15.41). Maybe things will get better, but they are not slow. Their performance is fine for me.

Third, most of my third party applications are running fine: EasyFind (although seems a little "slower"), Quicken 2017, AppCleaner, VLC, Adobe Acrobat Pro V10.1.16 (I was somewhat concerned whether that would work OK), 1Password, Memory Clean2, and Transmission. Printer is functioning fine also. About the only "glitch" I have experienced so far is with Quicken 2007 (yes, I still use it, although I also have Quicken 2017. Eventually I'll remove Quicken 2007). The issue I am seeing is that the Back Up Accounts file that Quicken 2007 creates at the end of a "session" cannot be written to the location where such a file already exists (last created/updated when I was using Sierra). That never happened with Sierra. Not sure why the issue. I might try saving it to another (new) location.

Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox (latest versions) work about the same ( I don't expect them to be "overly" OS dependent).

The "big" test" will come on Saturday, when I run through my normal disk cleanup/maintenance/repair, and backup, tasks, using the latest versions of Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and SuperDuper!. I totally expect things to go fine.

By the way, it would be helpful if others would relay their experiences with High Sierra. I am of course pleased that so far, I am not experiencing any issues (except for the two minor ones I previously mentioned).

Last edited:

Ask a Question