Installation of OS 10.13.4

Reaction score
I just completed the installation of the new version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.4, on both of my Macs, and it went smoothly. Here are the steps I took:

1. As usual on Saturdays, I first performed my disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks using Onyx and Tech Tool Pro, and then did my SuperDuper! backups to my 2 external drives.

2. Next, I booted each Mac to their respective SuperDuper! backups, used Disk Utility to Erase and Format the SSDs on each of my Macs, and then launched the "Install macOS High Sierra" installation file that I had downloaded yesterday.

3. When the installation completed, I was offered the opportunity, via Migration Assistant, to "migrate"/copy all my needed "stuff" from the SuperDuper! backup. That went off without a hitch.

Total elapsed time for 2 and 3 was a little over an hour on my Mac Mini, and about 1 1/2 hours on my MacBook Air. The connection of the SuperDuper! backups is via USB 3.0., so that could be one reason that it takes a somewhat long time.

I then had 3 more tasks to complete:

1. Needed to launch 1Password to add it to Google Chrome (need to do that when I do #1).

2. iTunes V12.7.4 came out a little after OS 10.13.4 was released, so I needed to install it. That process does take a good amount of time (somewhat "frustrating", but I do other things while that long installation goes on).

3. Finally, needed to remove the V10.13.3 of Tech Tool Pro's eDrive, then create a new one based on OS 10.13.4.

So, all in all, it went smoothly (as I expected). Need to "play" with OS 10.13.4 some more to see if I notice any differences. One thing I was initially surprised at is that starting with OS 10.13.4, one will be warned if they have any 32 bit apps. I have 2 of them, Quicken 2007 and Magic Number Machine. When I launched each of them, I did not get any "32 bit" warning. Maybe that "feature" is located somewhere else within the OS.

Reaction score
I did a clean install on the initial High Sierra release and all the updates in place and all is well! In fact never better.​
I ran Etrecheck and it gave the Mini a clean bill of health but did mention that the 32 bit apps. might become a problem in the future, it recommended no action be taken.

If anyone is interested this is a link on how to check for 32 bit apps. on your system.

Reaction score
I also did a clean installation of V10.13.2 of High Sierra. The reason I waited to do it then was that was the timeframe when a full and complete High Sierra version of Tech Tool Pro was finally released (my other critical applications (1Password, SuperDuper!, Onyx, Office 2016) already had updates for High Sierra compatibility). For V10.13.3, I just applied the OS 10.13.3 Combo Updater. But, OS 10.13.3, for me, has been running for a couple of months, and there were a couple of "patches" introduced for V10.13.3. Finally, V10.13.4 went through SEVEN betas, so I just felt it would be best to "start fresh", and thus I did a clean, fresh installation of OS 10.13.4. It actually went very well, and was not that time consuming.

Regarding the 32 bit apps, yes, I also saw that link previously. But according to Appel, starting with OS 10.13.4, it was going to inform one that the application they launched is a 32 bit app. That did not happen when I launched Quicken 2007, nor Magic Number Machine (using the info in that link above, I could see where they are 32 bit apps). I am going to "hunt around" the System Preferences of OS 10.13.4 to see if there is a setting for that feature.

Ask a Question