Sharing photos by I-cloud from Mac Photos

Reaction score
Just starting to use iCloud for photo sharing. Not finding it either very user-friendly nor very evident.

I am using Beginners Guide To Mac plus stuff I find on the web.

These tell me just click on photos in Photos (that's what I've got not and the other thingy that went before I read about) and drag-and-drop them into the Icloud Drive, and which I open from Finder. So on top of photos I have the Finder mask and I see the iCloud Drive which I have cleared of all items.

So I click on some photos in order to drag them - and then Finder with its iCloud promptly vanishes!. {Is/are fairly general thing I'm finding with other manipulations. Am I missing something? Is is essential I now start learning about split screen before I can do anything else?)

So instead I tried the Share button. I get asked who it's shared with, I give it an e-mail which it recognises, and it moves a photo file up into the 'shared' parts of the file list in
Photos. In that list there are some other 'shared' folders which I don't remember doing this procedure with - I

(I'm not sure how these got there as I do not remember doing this thing before. I think I shared the files in question the via dropbox on iPad or another computer, and now the Mac knows about them. I also thought to use dropbox which I used in the past with iPad Windows computer with my Mac, but when I looked into how on the web it appears that is a can of worms!)

Now MY MAIN QUESTION which I didn't see anybody explaining on my sources is how does the recipient know of these things I'm sending? How do I know he knows? I mean in dropbox whenever I shared an email went to the recipient and a copy to me to say I am sharing these photos with the recipient. I find it perplexing that I give the info but there is no sign that some action is taken on it.

Reaction score
Maybe I've no just seen the answer to my question. Things that are posted, or at least those that are opened by someone go into the file 'Activity'.

What does the recipient see, how does he know something has arrived?

Reaction score
Okay I saw now at top left of Photos there is a list of things that I have shared, and at the very top of that it says 'activity'and clicking on this it tells me that the person I send the pics to 'has joined'.
This wasn't explained in anything I've read, even for dummies but anyway.

Two other things maybe I'll work out if nobody tells me... :) ...

The word activities suggests I will only see what has happened, who has been there, recently.
Yesterday I did see somewhere somehow a tick or something that showed some other files in the list had been seen by somebody. A couple of them and just had a question mark beside them, maybe this means they haven't been looked at? These things I saw yesterday I can't see today.:confused:

Actually I don't think I sent these photos in that list from the Mac or from Photos. It was time ago before I had the Mac. So it looks like the Mac somehow knows about what has been done in Dropbox.

:confused: Any comments?

Last edited:

Ask a Question