Scanner sharing?

Reaction score
I vaguely remember that many OS's ago, you could set OSX up to offer scanner sharing. Has that disappeared? That is, I'd like someone on my network to be able to use the scanner attached to my computer. Just like you can now offer to share a printer. Sure, one could just do it with screen sharing, but I figured there might be a more local way to do it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I believe Scanner Sharing was removed in Mavericks. Some all-in-one scanners offer scanning over Wi-Fi.

I do remember seeing a way around the missing Scanner Sharing by using Preview and/or Image Capture and selecting File > Import from Scanner > Include Networked Devices.

Try that and see if it works.

C

Reaction score
Thanks.

Now, on the machine that the scanner is connected to, I can do, in Preview, File -> "Import from Canoscan LiDE 120". But on other networked machines, "Import from Scanner" is not highlighted and available. The only option Preview gives me on those other machines is "Take Screenshot". I see no option anywhere for "Include Networked Devices". How do I get to that?

Reaction score
OK, no biggie. But I do find it a little strange that Apple chose to remove that option. Sharing printers is still permitted.

I guess you get an "Include Network Devices" on "Import from Scanner" only if there ARE networked devices.

Ask a Question